Deva 24

Philip Perkins

Deva24 is not out yet but a non-working prototype was shown at NAB. Everyone was able to see and hold the recorder, see and get a feeling for the screen display (smaller than Deva but larger than Nomad), look at the feature of removable faceplate, etc. No one has used it (no built units are in anybody's hands yet) but there have been lots of comments already based on the unit on display at NAB and discussions of features and functions, etc. There are several videos that were done around the time of NAB that feature the new products from Zaxcom.

- from Zaxcom website:

Features Include:
• Detachable face for remote applications
• Mix AheadTM fader advance of up to .5 seconds
• 24 Track recording
• 12 Mic/Line inputs with phantom power
• 4 Line level inputs
• 16 AES inputs with AES42
• Touch-screen interface
• NeverClipTM inputs with 136dB dynamic range
• 12 hardware faders
• Three recording media (1 x SSD and 2 x CF cards)
• MARF fault-tolerant recording format
• 3-Band EQ with two notch filters per channel
• Input and output delay
• 10 second pre-record buffer

Option Accessories Include:
• Mix-16 control surface with touch-screen GUI
• Oasis 8-fader control surface with touch-screen GUI

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:
 $12K is the price indication:

And still no actual release yet. This must be one of the longest product announcements ever. 

To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for Zax. I‘m sure they hit a snag somewhere that messed up their best laid plans. 

I guess they really do go aft agley

• 1 month later...

What about integrated Zaxnet on Deva 24?
Do we expect FCC to approve, any idea when?

Can customers outside USA have Zaxnet on Deva 24?

How is it retro-fitted? What's involved? Where does it fit? Is there a space for it? Has it been tested with Deva 24?

etc. etc.

10 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

At least there is an antenna connector already in place

Yes Zaxnet antenna in place, however further information would be nice if possible, it's quite a disincentive for me to upgrade from Nomad 12 to Deva 24 if it has no integrated Zaxnet and I'm in Europe where the FCC does not apply?

There are many things I'd like upgrading from Nomad12 to Deva 24, increased capability (no more awkward juggling of Nomad modes), integrated SSD, triple media, touchscreen (a big plus), detachable front panel (another big plus), no increase in size and weight from Nomad 12 with FP8, but I'd really miss integrated Zaxnet as I use it all the time, and have invested in ERX's, like to remote control my TX's, and send timecode & guide track to small second cameras etc. etc.

The limit of 48kHz as sampling rate strikes me as a bit odd. A machine of this magnitude surely should be able to sample at up to 96k at least? 

Also, the TC implementation seems to be really weak: stated accuracy is one frame out in 6 hours. That’s pretty lame and really requires an external TC box to be connected to the Deva at all times. 

Neither of those should be dealbreakers, but they did surprise me. 

Still an awesome machine