Deva 24

Philip Perkins

3 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

I have heard those words before... still waiting for the remix feature on Nomad 12.

It seems you're missing the point here.  This is the very reason Glenn doesn't want to talk about the Zaxnet feature until it's implemented -- but then, someone like yourself starts pushing him on giving a definitive answer now. 

Glen talks about a Zaxnet and a Zaxnet TX multiple times in the video.

The Deva is Zaxcom’s Flagship Product. Zaxnet is Zaxcoms unique protocol that all/most Zax users take advantage of on a daily basis. A feature which helps separate them from the competition. How am I missing the point?

The remix feature has been advertised with Nomad for years... Still isn’t available...

3 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

The Deva is Zaxcom’s Flagship Product. Zaxnet is Zaxcoms unique protocol that all/most Zax users take advantage of on a daily basis. A feature which helps separate them from the competition. How am I missing the point?

The remix feature has been advertised with Nomad for years... Still isn’t available...

Ditto +1

11 hours ago, glenn said:

For now the connection to the IFB100/200 will be the Zaxnet transmission source just like the older Devas.  No other info is available at this time.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I'm sure you'd tell us more if you could, but I'm guessing it might be delicate.......

11 hours ago, glenn said:

The time code rating is very very conservative. 

But that is the official stated rating. I can’t operate on the assumption that it might be somewhat better. 

And it still means that an external TC clock needs to be connected at all times

12 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

Hence my puzzlement at your question. Since you're aware that it's under development, why are you insisting on an immediate answer to, "So just to confirm no Internal Zaxnet TX on the Deva 24?" 

Comes across as baiting to me. 

Look at it on the other side. A manufacturer mentioning a feature that is unique to their product multiple times that is currently not available is  in your words “baiting”.

Also promoting and marketing a feature that years later still isn’t available ie remix on Nomad. I find it strange to make a flagship product that doesn’t take full advantage of its own companies proprietary features.

I love Zaxcom but am just wanting a clear answer about a specific feature.

5 hours ago, glenn said:

There is no need for a external time code reference as the internal temperature compensated crystal oscillator is very accurate.

Glenn 

I‘m still puzzled why you would publish apparently wrong figures for the TC, but anyway. I guess real life experience brings the answer. 

1 hour ago, Matthias Richter said:

From Gotham:

• Initial shipments will not have ZaxNet enabled, since it's pending FCC approval.  When it's approved, there will be no charge for the ZaxNet board and it'll be installable by the end user or a dealer.

• Dante board option

Very good detective work Matthias :)

Now that kind of information is some large part what I wanted to know, however it's dated 15th September 2017, so unless something has changed since then, the 'no charge for the ZaxNet board and it'll be installable by the end user', is very useful to know if still true?

Gotham does say "Please remember that things are subject to change before release, so we'll keep you updated." and the sales spec now says "ZaxNet is supported by an IFB200 connected to Deva 24"  $1350

How long could the FCC take?

In the interim, what would be the problem of making these no charge and end user installable Zaxnet boards available in Europe one wonders?

https://www.gothamsound.com/taxonomy/term/349/product/maxx

No Automixer? Also surprised that no high sample rate is available. With a dedicated record & mixing  DSPs, one would think that should not be a problem. Timecode accuracy in a box that expensive should be higher, too. I suppose it's okay if it's the same as Nomad's, but i usually use Tentacle sync to feed both camera and Nomad, so I wouldn't know, really. One frame out after 6 hours could be noticeable for sure when doing a long documentary day, for example. Also, hope the detachable front panel works really well, that's such a great idea.

8 hours ago, resonate said:

No Automixer? Also surprised that no high sample rate is available. With a dedicated record & mixing  DSPs, one would think that should not be a problem. Timecode accuracy in a box that expensive should be higher, too. I suppose it's okay if it's the same as Nomad's, but i usually use Tentacle sync to feed both camera and Nomad, so I wouldn't know, really. One frame out after 6 hours could be noticeable for sure when doing a long documentary day, for example. Also, hope the detachable front panel works really well, that's such a great idea.

I dare say there's a strong possibility of adding Automix in firmware when Zax get a chance. I've used the Nomad automixer only a couple of times but it's pretty good, and did what I needed it to do, and I found myself tweaking the parameters on the fly to improve the response, which was actually quite effective.
Automix was added to the Nomad well after the initial release.
Likewise probably with 96Khz with some limitations about number of tracks perhaps?
My timecode workflow with TCS is always permanently radio linked so I don't get involved in the accuracy of stand alone boxes and whether they've been tuned to each other etc. as even if you use very high spec boxes there's still that element of whether they've been tuned to each other.
Yes the business of strapping choc ice dispenser like, front trays to ourselves has long been ridiculous and bad for us, very well done indeed Zaxcom, for addressing this, and making much more sensible arrangements a possibility, as far as I'm concerned it's a major step forward, and something I'm surprised has not been addressed by any other manufacturer even now. As far as I'm concerned it's been a glaringly big issue that's needed addressing for years, and unreliable, limited control tablets etc. just don't cut it.

The Deva 24 is also very small and light for what it does anyway, not in small part as a result of the touch screen, look at what the Cantar has to do with two massive crown wheels to make menu selection easier?

Regardless of TC stability and sample rate, I think this really is one of the most exciting recorders at the moment and I agree the removable front panel is brilliant. 

How long can the cable be that holds the panel?

also, the total number of recording tracks is 24, right? So if I wanted to record 24 inputs, I can‘t record a mixdown anymore?

For what it might mean to anyone, over the weekend I spoke with an accomplished mixer who is using a Deva 24 on a prime time network show, and his feedback was quite positive. He noted that post confirmed no issues whatsoever with time code accuracy.

This parallels my time code experience over several years using both Devas and a Nomad. Personally, I value real world results over paper-specsmanship. 

While it's true that there are notable Deva 24 features still being developed, he said that all the needed functionality is there and that the unit is "rock solid." 

5 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

Whats with the FCC tho??!! No zaxnet would be a huge blow.  

It's Zaxnet for $1350 (a not insubstantial extra $) via IFB200, extra weight and clutter in a bag , and then when/if the Deva 24 Zaxnet board (for built in Zaxnet) is made available (for no extra cost?), you're left with the quite specialized IFB200 to sell, in a limited market with others doing the same, it's all quite unfortunate, but I don't suppose the FCC gives a monkeys, and it might be on a long list with higher priorities to be dealt with by a committee, I don't know?

Anyway the question remains whether the Zaxnet board for the Deva 24 can be made available outside of the USA, can't see any any good reason why not really, except that USA customers might be a bit miffed I suppose?

33 minutes ago, pindrop said:

Anyway the question remains whether the Zaxnet board for the Deva 24 can be made available outside of the USA, can't see any any good reason why not really, except that USA customers might be a bit miffed I suppose?

Except that in other countries and the EU it’s even more difficult to release a new product and the work you need to do to get the docs you need before you can apply the CE label is quite involved 

49 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Except that in other countries and the EU it’s even more difficult to release a new product and the work you need to do to get the docs you need before you can apply the CE label is quite involved 

Yes ok but the EU haven't changed the rules so that they now have some kind of problem with built in 2.4Ghz narrow band TX's like the FCC has for some reason.

I don't know what the FCC are trying to do, and why they're now making it a problem, when it was ok before?
It's not that it's difficult, it's that there is now a new specific problem, stumbling block, with the FCC, which doesn't exist with the EU.
I don't know if precedent counts for anything with the EU, but the Nomad with built in Zaxnet has been ok for years.
Zaxcom as a company hopefully has been doing what need to do with the EU for Deva 24 for some time now, like they have with the FCC, except that the FCC have a problem causing delays, which the EU does not, so it should already have been dealt with, for the EU hopefully?