Deva 24

Philip Perkins

Nothing has changed with our Zaxnet transmitter for Deva24. The Deva24 will work with IFB200 just like the older Devas. When we are ready the internal transmitter module will be submitted for CE and FCC testing. As it is the same as the IFB200 it will get approval and then we can distribute it.  

Glenn

8 minutes ago, glenn said:

Nothing has changed with our Zaxnet transmitter for Deva24. The Deva24 will work with IFB200 just like the older Devas. When we are ready the internal transmitter module will be submitted for CE and FCC testing. As it is the same as the IFB200 it will get approval and then we can distribute it.  

Glenn

Thanks Glenn the Deva 24 is a masterpiece of design, but I hope you can see that the situation and scant information about the internal Zaxnet implementation (why's scant information necessary anyway?) is not ideal for a very keen potential purchaser like myself. As it requires another $1350 dollar outlay (IFB200 with additional weight and clutter in a bag), on what is already a substantial outlay, for something that might be made available for no additional cost, at some indeterminate time in the future, leaving one with an orphaned IFB200 at some point.

I note you keep implying that older Deva's required the IFB200 so what's the problem, but as a former Fusion owner ( ultimately really too bulky for bag use) and Nomad user, I'm intending to implement a Deva 24 for bag use.
Can you confirm any of what was said, and is still available to read on the Gotham website from September last year
"Initial shipments will not have ZaxNet enabled, since it's pending FCC approval.  When it's approved, there will be no charge for the ZaxNet board and it'll be installable by the end user or a dealer."
I'm disappointed that you're implying that the Zaxnet board for the Deva 24 has not even been submitted yet.
Sorry to push on this, and of course there may be reasons why the information is so scant that you don't want to disclose on a public forum, in which case please tell me to shut up.
But I really am keen to know what the situation is, and if any further information or approximate timescales can be made available or confirmed, I'd be grateful?

• 8 months later...

Hi, how are the current users of the Deva 24 finding it?

Does everything work as planned / are there things that were don’t work currently?

Is anyone using the Deva 24 with an Oasis?

Can you use a IPad yet for the Oasis Remote / Mix 16 remote?

I haven’t seen any feedback/software updates on the Zaxcom forum although I’m not on Facebook if that where it’s happening. 

Cheers

22 hours ago, vins said:

Hi, how are the current users of the Deva 24 finding it?

Does everything work as planned / are there things that were don’t work currently?

Is anyone using the Deva 24 with an Oasis?

Can you use a IPad yet for the Oasis Remote / Mix 16 remote?

I haven’t seen any feedback/software updates on the Zaxcom forum although I’m not on Facebook if that where it’s happening. 

Cheers

Working with a DEVA24-MIX16 setup since March.

Many things and bugs were solved during these months and some features added, sometimes also listening to the users feedback.

I'm enjoying the machine a lot.

Anyway, it is still in development: very recently they started to install the Zaxnet antenna board and updated the firmware to have full RX12 compatibility on the Deva screen; at the moment it seems to me there's not any news about ipad implementation; Iso Attenuation (Neverclip) on iso and mix tracks is still not working and so is Mix Assist.

And yes, most of the feedbacks/updates are in a Facebook Group.

At the very beginning, I tried to open a Dropbox Paper page where any users could write his bugs report or features request but it's a little bit abandoned in the last weeks. Anyway, this is the link, if you want to have a look on what's happened from the beginning: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/DEVA24MIX16-v2.75-SvWNK02g7QuSFFnTZ5Vlq

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

Vale.

Thanks for the info.

So that sounds pretty good, bar a couple of things yet to be implemented. 

I’d love to hear from anybody using the Deva with an Oasis.

What does the sound report look like?

I’m using movie slate currently but would love to use the Deva sound report if it looks good & there’s a better notes field than the Fusion/ old Devas etc.

Is the script import & footswitch still a thing or did that disappear with the Deva 32?

The Deva24 came out of what I would consider "Beta" almost 1 year ago. We do continue to add features that are non core functions like the internal Zaxnet functionality.  Just like the recently added Audition and re-record on Nomad,  we continue to upgrade products with features that enhance the value and functionality of the product. The basic functionality with solid reliability has been there for a long time now.

Glenn

3 hours ago, glenn said:

The basic functionality with solid reliability has been there for a long time now.

Glenn

That's absolutely true, I can confirm.

I used my DEVA/MIX16 combo on a 20 weeks Netflix series and a 8 weeks film shooting without any major issues, but with an overall better quality vs my old Fusion setup.

Yes the Deva24 has full control of Zaxcom wireless with the internal IFB transmitter. This of course includes Audition and Re-Record. This is integrated into the MIX16 and Oasis with the Audition and re-record buttons on the mixing surface. The Deva24 is fully integrated into the wireless microphone recording system and the Zaxcom IFB system with time code distribution via Zaxnet.

Glenn

On 11/25/2018 at 8:14 AM, vale said:

Vale.

Hi Vale,

I am interested in the Deva 24. I would initially use it with my 8 ch sonosax mixer. I would like to know if i wanted to use the deva faders 9-12 as extra faders for extra inputs is it possible to trim those faders as i would in the nomad? where you can move the fader to engage it and then use the say the menu knob to increase or decrease the trim. I see in the manual you can select trim in the input page and then that displays orange and you can trim using the menu knob. But that means entering that page every time you want to trim. It would be great as per the nomad setup where you can trim all from the front controls.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Glenn,

Yes i get that but if i were to use faders 1- 8 as zaxnet control then i want to use 9-12 as additional mic/line inputs after i have exhausted my 8 channel sonosax mixer then how can i easily trim faders 9-12. Do i have to go into the input menu and trim or is there a way like the Nomad where i can use say the menu knob once the fader is operated? 

Thanks

Tony

8 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Glenn,

Yes i get that but if i were to use faders 1- 8 as zaxnet control then i want to use 9-12 as additional mic/line inputs after i have exhausted my 8 channel sonosax mixer then how can i easily trim faders 9-12. Do i have to go into the input menu and trim or is there a way like the Nomad where i can use say the menu knob once the fader is operated? 

Thanks

Tony

If you mean the Autotrim function in the Nomad, at the moment the Deva24 does't have it.

7 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Glenn,

Thanks

Tony

The Deva24 does not have that virtual input trim function like Nomad. You can press the input button to get to the control quickly. I think the pfl key might select the channel on the Deva24 fader when in the input menu. 

Glenn

1 hour ago, glenn said:

I think the trim may come up as active when you enter the input page.

That would be good, i am reading the manual and can see now that it will be quite easy to trim on the fly when needed and especially if the trim comes up active as the first option when entering the input page.

Can i connect a mix8 to the deva 24?

On 11/25/2018 at 8:14 AM, vale said:

Hi Vale,

How do you find the touch screen? is it easy to enter things wth fingers? I know it is fractionally smaller than the Fusion but would like to know how well it operates.

How do you find the GUI? is it plug and play? as in does it just work when plugged in and operate without crashing?

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Tony Johnson
to add a question

10 hours ago, glenn said:

I think the trim may come up as active when you enter the input page.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, what could be also useful imho is that: when we use the rotating menu knob to change the trim value in the input page (or even other functions that need to insert a numeric value) then when we push the knob to confirm that value. But now, when we push the knob, it opens an other page where we should enter the value and then confirm. So it takes longer.

At the end, I simply think that if we push the knob it has to act like an "enter" button and confirm the value we've selected rotating; if we want to open the window to insert a value manually, maybe we should use the touch screen pushing on that field.

Hope I explained well.

10 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Can i connect a mix8 to the deva 24?

Hi Vale,

How do you find the touch screen? is it easy to enter things wth fingers? I know it is fractionally smaller than the Fusion but would like to know how well it operates.

How do you find the GUI? is it plug and play? as in does it just work when plugged in and operate without crashing?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

you can't connect a mix8, only Oasis or Mix16 are supported.

The touchscreen behaves well, it's smaller as you said but it works easily well. When you have all the 24 tracks active it is a little bit more difficult but anything that can't be managed.

The GUI is very simple and intuitive, like the old Deva/Fusion one. If you used one of these old recorders you can use the Deva24 even almost without reading the manual. 

We had some crashes with the earlier firmware versions but now everything seems to work smoothly.

8 hours ago, vale said:

The GUI is very simple and intuitive, like the old Deva/Fusion one. If you used one of these old recorders you can use the Deva24 even almost without reading the manual. 

Sorry Vale i meant an external GUI like a windows or mac iPad. I have one for my nomad and am hoping that it it is just a plug and play works well. 

Tony

I don't believe the external GUI is out yet. I believe they are working on it. I hope this one can be used on iPad. I have the Deva 24 and am super happy with it. The sound is noticeably better than my Fusion was. I have an earlier version of the Deva 24 that did not have the zaxnet board in it yet and just sent it to get put in. Can't wait to get it back. Neverclip is awesone on all channels. Touchscreen has been no problems for me. Early firmware would crash every once in awhile but I haven't had something happen in some time now. I still run things through my Cooper so not using any of the mix surfaces at the moment. Maybe in the future, but I REALLY like my Cooper, soooo.....

CRAIG