Stolen gear? A used Neumann KMR81i on eBay without original invoice or receipt.

Hi all,

I am currently looking to buy a used KMR81i and found this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282009930309?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I made an offer for $900 ( the seller asking $975) and it was accept immediately.

Questioning the seller for SN, purchased date and distributor. The seller answers:

"we're a resale shop. There is no invoice or receipt."
He claims the SN of microphone is 13966.

Any ideas?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

Other than checking that SN in some database of stolen gear you pays your money and you takes your chances--that's how ebay works.  Do they have positive reviews?  Do they have a lot of auctions up (ie are pros)?  The pix look legit.  It isn't common for people selling used gear, especially something that has had as long a manufacturing life as the 81, to have the original receipt.  These guys could easily be the 3rd or 4th owners of the mic...

24 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Other than checking that SN in some database of stolen gear you pays your money and you takes your chances--that's how ebay works.  Do they have positive reviews?  Do they have a lot of auctions up (ie are pros)?  The pix look legit.  It isn't common for people selling used gear, especially something that has had as long a manufacturing life as the 81, to have the original receipt.  These guys could easily be the 3rd or 4th owners of the mic...

The seller is rated top seller with 100% positive feedback. Well,  maybe I should take my own chances, Thanks for advise.