788T - Where to put the mono mix track?

Korey Pereira

I am excited to be upgrading my 744t+442 to a 788t+CL8 and have a quick question about track assignment.  With my previous setup, I had always done a mono mix on the 442 sent to camera and 4 isos recorded to the 744t.  With the 788t I am looking forward to being able to also record the mono mix track.  Also going to (hopefully soon) be using the 788t for ambisonic / quad ambience recordings for my work in post.

My question to y'all 788t users is: are you putting the mono mix on the L record track or are you putting in on Track A or X1/X2?  If nothing is assigned to R, will it NOT record or will I get a blank track?

My goal would be to have the mono mix show up first, hence my leaning towards the L, being able to keep my 1-8 to A-H assignments for Boom followed by lavs.

Interested to see how folks are routing things!

Mix to L, isos to A through H has become one of the standards. Generally, the 788 will not record a track that has nothing routed to.

In the BWF meta chunk, tracks are not named L through X2 but simply numbered. Loading a poly wav file into WaveAgent will better show you what I mean than I can describe it. For example, if you record all 8 isos on A through H, and a mix on L, track L would show up as "interleave 1", A as "interleave 2", B as "3", and so on through H as "9". If you only use inputs 1 to A and 8 to H, and record a mix to L, track L would show up as "interleave 1", A as "2", and H as "3"! So it's absolutely essential to create a sound report sheet that has track info, either handwritten or as a CSV sheet in the daily folder.

Make sure you carefully read the manual for the right firmware version.

pkautzsch, many thanks - that was exactly what I was looking for.  After reading through everything, that seemed like the most logical choice, but good to have confirmation the R gets dropped.

I try to keep meticulous logs with good ol LSC 2-track soundlogs, but will probably start going digital w/ the 788t.  Went ahead an ordered one of the recommended usb keyboards which will make that a bit easier!

Thanks again!

The report utility that Sound Devices gives away for free (Wave Agent) is very handy for printing out sound reports at the end of the day. Even more so if you name the tracks with reasonable descriptions, enter the Scene & Take information, along with any important notes (traffic noise, airplanes, generator sounds, etc.). 

Marc, Yes, I see myself using Wave Agent much more.  I will have to make it a later purchase, but I am excited about the CL-Wifi as well.

I have always been in the habit of naming tracks/takes/folders, so wont be much of a change there.  With the 788 and a keyboard (and eventually CL-Wifi) it will be much easier to enter notes, which I feel like was my biggest reason for holding onto paper logs for so long.

While I am still a young(ish) guy, I often feel I am behind the times :-)