My TRX900LA went down the mud

Hello fellas!

An incident happened with my transmitter just now on the set of a independent feature I'm working on. After the scene the actor decided to run for it and get dirty on the mud. My transmitter was on an ankle band and it got totally submerged.

Production is on it and they will pay for a new one but I'm still trying to save it.

What do you guys think I should do with it? Try to open it and clean it now? Let it dry and than try to clean it?

The ankle band protected the bottom and the sides but the mud got all over the top. specially on the micro SD slot that was empty at the moment.

here's a couple of pictures:

ccb2d7d4690ef00e32f5b8d909ee50ed.jpg

1b201901ed4aa9d92d1f63b9d04b42cd.jpg

ecab245104dbc378623a0375efd7c8b1.jpg

thanks for feedback

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Personally I would remove the batteries, dry the mud completely with a hair dryer until it crumbles, then using your fingers, compressed air, and cutips gently rub off all the mud you can.  You'll probably get most of it that way, then clean the rest of it with rubbing alcohol.  Filling the SD slot will likely be your biggest issue with this situation, and the hardest to clean.  That may require a trip to the factory.  I would guess the transmitter will work just fine after all this, and probably won't need replacing.  Of course that's just a guess, and depends on how much water got into the unit in the first place.

I would also recommend covering the SD slot with paper tape in the future, to prevent mud, dust, sweat, etc. from getting on the circuit boards.

Call Zaxcom, they're right over in NJ. Glenn is on here regularly as well.

I would think after removing all the batteries and dried mud, disassembly and distilled water may rinse it out. Hopefully it didn't short out and fry itself. It will probably need to be sent to the mother-ship.

Wow that is one dirty transmitter. I would let it dry for a day or two. Clean off the mud with tooth picks to get it out of the cracks. Power it up and see if it works. If it does not send it in. Use the rubber card stopper next time. 

If you are lucky the damage might be limited to the card slot.

Glenn

Stop the cleaning...fast... Do not try to get that one back in order..don't even clean it... Have production get you a new one ASAP.... Overnight shipping...and move on... If you make it work, and they think its OK.. they may argue you keeping it... I personally wouldn't want it...but that's me... Toothpick cleaning, card slot replacement and all..

My .02

15 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Stop the cleaning...fast... Do not try to get that one back in order..don't even clean it... Have production get you a new one ASAP.... Overnight shipping...and move on... If you make it work, and they think its OK.. they may argue you keeping it... I personally wouldn't want it...but that's me... Toothpick cleaning, card slot replacement and all..

My .02

I have to agree. Just get a new one and be done with it. If you get and upgrade out of it too, then you are sitting better off anyway even if you don't get to keep the original Tx. The last thing you want to happen is not get a replacement since you got it working, and then a few months down the road it stops working because of some unseen damage.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Aftermath:

It took two days but production finally got me a new transmitter. I'm now the owner of a brand new TRXLA 2.6. Gotta say I'm liking it. Love the screen and the range so far.

I wanted to try to save the "one dirty transmitter" just because I think it would be a shame just to give up on it. But in the end I handed it to production and they will try to get something out of it. I told them to call Zaxcom and go from there.

Got my upgrade and now I'm thinking of braking some more stuff on my next job.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk