Media center/TV gear talk and setups

I think it would be interested to talk about what people use to watch TV and movies and listen to music. I don't like traditional setups with AVRs and passive speakers

My setup is:

AMD A10 mini PC, SilliconDust HdHomeRunPrime cable card tuner, TC-P54V10 plasma going to RME ADI-2 ADDA feeding equator audio D5 coaxial speakers.

Post your setup.

I run a Samsung DVD/Blu-Ray Player that can stream Netflix, a Mac Mini (maybe from 2009?) and a Music Hall turntable all through a Harmon Kardon HD-3550 receiver, then out to 2 Ascend Acoustics speakers and a 40 inch TV. The mac mini lets me stream other shows besides netflix, run iTunes and watch dailies. No more cable, cable box, not even network TV. Just internet and subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon and iTunes. 

I use a 1978 Yamaha CR-1020 receiver with a Technics SL-1200mk5 turn table, Tascam CC-222mkII cassette/CD player-recorder, Akai GX-646 and Technics 1506 reel to reel machines, coming through Infinity kappa 8.1 four-way speakers and KRK passive monitors. No television. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On May 21, 2016 at 8:46 AM, RadoStefanov said:

Great setup Tom. What drives those speakers?

back in the day with Pass Labs X series amps and Meridian processor, these days had to lighten up the load and using a mid-range Denon receiver : (

Mostly Netflix and Blu-Ray via PS3, but feed from ProTools or Final Cut via a Blackmagic micro thunderbolt to HDMI box for work.

I'm running a Polk 7.1 System (RTiA5s, RTiA1s, CSi6 PSW125 Sub). They are powered by a Yamaha Aventage A3040. Cable box, amazon tv and playstation 3 allow pretty much any media source. Currently running a Sony 46" TV but saving up for the projector and 106" screen. The sound definitely overwhelms the screen size. Eventually i'll get my mac pro hooked up to the system with the protools rig.

My setup sounds a bit more "traditional" then most of yours.

TV is a 60" Samsung Plasma that I LOVE (PN60F8500, the new plasma model sold in the US and the highest rated for picture quality at the time).  This is fed by a Verizon Fios DVR, a Sharp Blu-Ray Player, and an Apple TV 3rd Generation

Stereo "integrated amplifier" is a Peachtree Audio Decco65.  This is fed by a Sonos Connect (coax digital), a Numark Turntable, and the optical output from the TV.  Outputs from all these are also split off into my wireless headphones, Sennheiser RS-220s.  

Speakers are Totem Rainmaker bookshelf speakers and a Kin Subwoofer, in white cause i thought that seemed fancy.  Waiting to find a set of white stands to match, but those are shockingly hard to find for some reason.

IMG_0612.JPG

On 5/22/2016 at 2:21 PM, JonG said:

I use a 1978 Yamaha CR-1020 receiver with a Technics SL-1200mk5 turn table, Tascam CC-222mkII cassette/CD player-recorder, Akai GX-646 and Technics 1506 reel to reel machines, coming through Infinity kappa 8.1 four-way speakers and KRK passive monitors. No television. 

image.jpeg

Jon,

A knowing-smile, came upon my face, when I saw you rocking the dbxII 128!

(Back in the day ...) I first used the 122. Then, the 128. Also, the 20/20.

I still have my 122. And, 128.  Long-since stored. (When I started traveling about the world.) 

Sold the 20/20. (sad-face emoticon)

A real pleasure when listening (to the results.)

I do wonder how they would sound, to me, these days?    How about you?

3 hours ago, new mexico said:

A real pleasure when listening (to the results.)

I do wonder how they would sound, to me, these days?    How about you?

I purchased the dbx unit because it was common to use them alongside tape machines in the past, so I wanted to give it a go and get to know it, and I found this for a very reasonable price. Truth be told, it does kind of take the life out of the sound of the tape, and the self noise of the device only replaces the tape noise. So I took it out of the chain, and keep it around for experimenting mostly. 

I have thoughts of putting together a patch bay that connect the Teac meter bridge (thank you @Philip Perkins for selling me this fun piece!) and the dbx unit off of splits so I can listen to the direct tape sound, or switch to the dbx without having to always have it in the signal chain. But then again, that's getting very elaborate. 

However, I do have plans of implementing a DSD recorder/player to properly digitize the tape collection. Think that's going a bit far? lol

10 hours ago, JonG said:

the self noise of the device only replaces the tape noise

'Self noise' = Possible 30+ year old 'hi-fi' electronic components?

I don't recall the unit being 'noisy,' myself, back then?

But, again - That was a long time ago ... In a galaxy far, far, away.

Thanks for the brief blush of nostalgia, Jon.

I guess I'll just leave my sleeping dogs lie. Or, sell 'em on eBay.