ERX NOSWITCHMOD for camera use

RadoStefanov

Just used an ERX for the first time. I own a Nomad but I do not have any Zaxcom wireless and it blew me away that you could use a receiver with having to buy an additional transmitter. Merely sending from the recorder via Zaxnet. I mean I've read a lot of the literature but when you actually use it on a job, it really sinks in. Why would camera people be turning it off though?

1 hour ago, aginzo said:

Why would camera people be turning it off though?

Accidentally 

1 hour ago, aginzo said:

Just used an ERX for the first time. I own a Nomad but I do not have any Zaxcom wireless and it blew me away that you could use a receiver with having to buy an additional transmitter. Merely sending from the recorder via Zaxnet. I mean I've read a lot of the literature but when you actually use it on a job, it really sinks in.

If and ERX blew you away - you should try some Zaxcom wireless. Zaxnet remote control will really knock your socks off. Remote gain control has changed my life.

9 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

Accidentally 

If and ERX blew you away - you should try some Zaxcom wireless. Zaxnet remote control will really knock your socks off. Remote gain control has changed my life.

I did as well. QRX200 and ERX. I was on a commercial and my boom op colleague who also mixes in town brought his setup of Zax wireless. I just mentioned the ERX because of the above comment. I've always loved Zaxcom wireless but have had a hard time getting them because of price. Well worth the price but my market hasn't really been able to get the finances for a complete setup. I may be getting a Zax setup later this year. Long story but I was sold on the Nomad (I was considering getting a SD 644 originally) via colleagues in town, lighter than most of the other recorders and Neverclip. Have been going back and forth between selling the unit and getting a 633 and/or keeping it and going ahead and having Zax taking all my money. It is a freakin' nice set of wireless they made. Love remote gain and freq change all from the recording unit. What a great concept. Didn't have to touch talents transmitter at all. We even had a Zax TRX742 and everything work flawlessly. Except one caveat. I wasn't used to using Zaxnet on my recorder and was gaining up the wrong transmitter. Learning curve. Oops. My boom op was wondering why his mic was sounding louder and louder. 

6 hours ago, stacysound said:

Maybe version two of the ERX should have push and hold buttons for controls, eliminating all practical knobs and switches. 

I think you mean version 4?

While I agree the power switch is not necessary, and Rado's mod is a great work around, I use erx for director, client, agency, everybody that needs to listen, and I would not do that if there wasn't a volume knob.    I really like the fact that I can disable the knob for static setups like on camera and at vtr, but I would never use them for monitoring if they had to take the erx out of the case and press buttons on the face to change the volume.  I have 3 erx that regularly go on camera, and almost 20 that are used for video village, so losing the volume knob would be a big deal in how I use the erx.

A lot of us use these for camera hops and/or ifb. I only use mine for camera, so mine are all modded with a bnc in place of the volume knob for tc. The switch mod would also prove to be valuable in this instance because camera ppl with often unknowingly bump the switch off, or worse, try to be helpful and turn them off at lunch and inevitably forget to turn them back on (I see this very often and they always, without fail, forget to turn them back on). A push button that you have to wait a couple seconds would eliminate some of these problems. If v4 happens to incorporate these I'd certainly pick some up. 

As usual, thanks for sharing @RadoStefanov

• 3 weeks later...
On May 28, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Jack Norflus said:

Accidentally 

Not to sound like an idiot but wouldn't some gaff tape maybe help form accidents? Or is it really not that "accidental"? 

On May 29, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Wandering Ear said:

I think you mean version 4?

While I agree the power switch is not necessary, and Rado's mod is a great work around, I use erx for director, client, agency, everybody that needs to listen, and I would not do that if there wasn't a volume knob.    I really like the fact that I can disable the knob for static setups like on camera and at vtr, but I would never use them for monitoring if they had to take the erx out of the case and press buttons on the face to change the volume.  I have 3 erx that regularly go on camera, and almost 20 that are used for video village, so losing the volume knob would be a big deal in how I use the erx.

I had a flaky erx volume control and I just set the volume to max through the menu and gave out a pair of sennheiser headphones with an inline volume control.  got me out of a jam.  the constant flexing on the motherboard makes some of the volume controls on my erx units intermittent and its annoying to isolate the problem with multiple units. 

• 2 months later...
On May 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM, JonG said:

I only use mine for camera, so mine are all modded with a bnc in place of the volume knob for tc.

Might you be willing to share a pic of said mod?  I, too, have 2 ERX's that are in permanent Camera hop mode, but I haven't physically altered them (yet!).

3 minutes ago, Vincent Gates said:

Might you be willing to share a pic of said mod?  I, too, have 2 ERX's that are in permanent Camera hop mode, but I haven't physically altered them (yet!).

Hi Vincent. I'm sure Jon's look like this one of mine, modified by AudioDepartment. I have 3 like this for permanent camera use, with 3 more available as required or for IFB. 

IMG_5191.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 4:02 AM, RadoStefanov said:

ERX for camera mod that I did long time ago. Posting because of the many discussions lately about camera people switching the erx off. Just pull the switch out and connect with a wire.
Enjoy!

13254923_10209521062683344_7057641477149

13246323_10209521062643343_5833366251343

Hi Rado.

It's been a while since I read this thread. I need to make the mod for my ERX's and it appears that your photo's are no longer visible. I've tried on my phone, tablet and computer and all methods have the same result. 
I'm getting crazy timecode bleed into my audio channel (on all 4 ERX's) and need to add a BNC to sort this problem out. Could you repost the pictures please. 

Many thanks,

Sebastian 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 4:14 AM, Sebastian said:

Hi Rado.

It's been a while since I read this thread. I need to make the mod for my ERX's and it appears that your photo's are no longer visible. I've tried on my phone, tablet and computer and all methods have the same result. 
I'm getting crazy timecode bleed into my audio channel (on all 4 ERX's) and need to add a BNC to sort this problem out. Could you repost the pictures please. 

Many thanks,

Sebastian 

Let me check.  

• 4 weeks later...