Mkh 8060

Dinesh Yuvi

Hi,im from india,There is no mic or recorder available for rental(our industry is called kollywood,south side of India & north side movies are called Bollywood) I have to get right equipment.Also my budjet is around $5000 dollars.
Equipment i have in mind now are,
1. pair of senhesier mkh 8060 shotgun = i'm choosing this mic because it performs well in both indoors and outdoors.
2. Stereo mic Audio Technica Bp4025

or

1. one senhesier mkh 8060 shotgun
2. pair of Senheiser g3 with sanken COS 11D lav's
3. Stereo mic Audio Technica Bp4025

Common Equipment :-

1. Zoom f8 Recorder
2. Roycote blimp
3. Rode boom pole pro
Please Tell me your opinion about my equipment list,whether it is right or not...

I have fond memories of Chennai from many years ago and even saw a film being shot in a studio there.

I think the 8060 is a good choice and maybe an 8050 for indoors or a second microphone. From your post you say that there isn't much equipment support there so I would be worried about the choice of the Zoom f8 , not because I know of reliability issues but it is a fairly new recorder. I would be more inclined to go with a Sound Devices recorder , great build quality and a good reputation. Do you need a Stereo Mic ? , I think the G3 radios would be a more useful addition to your kit , I suspect you would get more use out of them.

8 hours ago, Dinesh Yuvi said:

If you have $5000 what all are the equipments will you buy to do production sound...

@RadoStefanov There is no one mentioned how  DPA 4017C sounds indoors but in Sanken websites they mentioned that Sanken cs3e have rear rejection whereas every other shotguns have rear pickup so they pick up reflections from the ceiling so Sanken cs3e perform well in both indoors & Outdoors.I'm choosing mkh8060 because of this article http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/sennheiser_mkh_8060_shine_on_the_set_of_abcs_modern_family/ and many of them says it performs well in indoors also i have heard 8060 samples recorded indoors that sounds okay to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesYir-ZlLU&index=3&list=PLsmJVGTD7wjU7iRIE_uWUExgKjKxg4kdi

Mkh 8060 sample recorded indoors.

There is no one indoors, there are many. Every room sounds different.

While I would second Rado's suggestion (albeit with the B version so you get the low cut), I will tell you that you cannot chose a mic by reading about it. You have to listen to it. Asking here will provide many different answers and recommendations, which may not help you in the end.

Also, I'd like to highly recommend that you contact Vinod (Soundtrane here) who is also based in India and may be able to help you the most - if he has the time to spare, and he's a great guy to talk to

Given the remote location of the OP, I'd say it would be wise to go with things known for their reliability. Like Myk said, Sound Devices would be a better choice than Zoom not only for quality, but also because they're proven to work in a variety of situations and conditions, whereas Zoom is only known for being inexpensive. A used 744T/442 combo would be a great sounding, robust kit to start with that won't let you down.

Regarding mics, I'd be inclined to get a 416 and mkh50 for outdoor/indoor use only because those mics will never let you down and they sound great, and are a versatile combination. A used 416 with a blimp and softy could probably be found fairly easily for under $1k.

If that eats up your budget then it is a good start. Don't bother spending money on lavs until you can afford a really good set. At least a um200c/ucr211 series Lectro set. 

As for a boom pole, the Rode pole is pretty bare bones, and not worth the money imho. Try for a used k-tek, psc, vdb, etc. 

Anyways, if I was buying my first kit, this is what I would go for if I wanted to stay in your budget. Of course it is all about personal preferences. I know that you can't preview any of these items youself, but a healthy number of us here on the forum used this very kit for many years, and many still do. Everyone will agree that it is rock solid, reliable, and sounds great. 

Please fill us in on what you decide upon!

6 hours ago, Myk Farmer said:

You need to use the MZF filter module between capsule and power supply for boom work on the 8050

imo it's simply not made for film work.  it sounds fantastic in all other respects - especially music/interviews - and has excellent low self noise, but the low frequency pickup is unbearable and any low pass filters at any hz to accommodate handling make it sound ridiculously duller than it should.  not to mention the need for much, much heavier wind protection (heavier than stock windscreen or a rigged schoeps teardrop, further killing your freqs).

7 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

I use an 8050 alot and don't have a problem. What are you using with it?

rycote lyres (hard and soft shore) with 416, cs3e, cs2, mkh50, 60, 641, cmit5u and 3 different boompoles. i've never had to tippy toe as much as i did with my 8050.  if you can make it work, then good for you.  but a simple google search reaffirms this as a widespread gripe of many users

@JonG  Now,i changed my mind & decided to get mkh50 for indoors and mkh8060 for outdoors.. because 8060 and mkh50 fits perfectly in Roycote supershield blimp and also i can save money by avoiding one extra boom pole,blimp,i can interchange the mic in Roycote supershield when i move from exterior to interior...In that saved money i can get pair of g3 with sanken cos11D so that i can get 2 safety tracks if boom track was unable to use...Also as you mentioned i love to have lectro and sound devices but i can't afford that much money..

@Dinesh Yuvi, forgive my ignorance to the geography of your country, but one of the reasons why I recommend a 416 is also because environmental issues like humidity do not affect that mic like they do with modular mics, and the 80xx series being modular, is susceptible to those kinds of issues. If the area you live in has high humidity, this may be an area of convern for you.

FWIW, used Sound Devices and Lectros can be obtained within your price range. I'm sure that if you keep your eyes open in our classifieds section, or other places such as ebay, or facebook groups, you will find everything that you are looking for at the right price to fit into your budget. 

Best of luck!

@JonG  Now,i changed my mind & decided to get mkh50 for indoors and mkh8060 for outdoors.. because 8060 and mkh50 fits perfectly in Roycote supershield blimp and also i can save money by avoiding one extra boom pole,blimp,i can interchange the mic in Roycote supershield when i move from exterior to interior...In that saved money i can get pair of g3 with sanken cos11D so that i can get 2 safety tracks if boom track was unable to use...Also as you mentioned i love to have lectro and sound devices but i can't afford that much money..

The two mics may not be as interchangeable as you think. The MKH50 is shaped totally differently and therefore Rycote includes special MKHxx lyres which are not compatible to the MKH80xx mics. But I don't know if the MKHxx will fit in to the regular lyres and if it does, if it won't stretch it too much, so it may still hold the small 8060 well enough

finally I'm going to go with,
1. zoom f8 (After a year,i will get sound devices or zaxxom)
2. Senheiser mkh 60 (for outdoors)
3. Senheiser mkh 50 (indoors)
4. pair sanken cos 11D lav's
5. pair of Senheiser G3 wireless system (i can't afford lectrosonics)
6. K-Tek boom pole
7. Roycote windshield

your opinions ?

On 30/05/2016 at 4:13 AM, Dinesh Yuvi said:

finally I'm going to go with,
1. zoom f8 (After a year,i will get sound devices or zaxxom)
2. Senheiser mkh 60 (for outdoors)
3. Senheiser mkh 50 (indoors)
4. pair sanken cos 11D lav's
5. pair of Senheiser G3 wireless system (i can't afford lectrosonics)
6. K-Tek boom pole
7. Roycote windshield

your opinions ?

Look also into Sony UWP-D11  (I just purchased a mint set this morning for only just over three hundred bucks), RODE RodeLink  (what I have now. They're great value! But a bulky TX), & Saramonic UwMic10  (what I'll likely get next).

Also consider a Tascam DR60D mk2  (practically free secondhand now!) or a Tascam DR680  (I got one last week for under three hundred bucks) as your emergency back up recorder, as you're far away from any rental houses. (A Tascam also is good to bring along to cheaper shoots where you can't justify or risk your Zoom F8).

On a similar point, keep an eye out for the Aputure D3 microphone, its price will be well under three hundred. As could be a great back up mic or for those cheaper/riskier jobs. It is claimed to perform similar to a 416! :-o

• 5 months later...

Now,i own Zoom f8,Senheiser mkh 60,pair sanken cos 11D lav's,pair of Senheiser G3 wireless system (i can't afford lectrosonics),I'm happy with the quality i'm getting it for price i spent,Except in reflective indoors mkh60's reverb is bad but better than Mkh416 in reflective spaces,so now i'm planning to get mkh50 to my kit