10cc _ I'm Not in Love _ The making of

al mcguire

oooh Helios,

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/tale-three-helios/424497

Helios the 1st console manufacturer to build an ergonometric console, where everything was less than an arms length away.   No more lost time because mixer never needed to stand up or sit down. The result was  increased production.

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 7.12.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 7.17.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 7.21.32 AM.png

Consequences! I had a chance a few years ago to sit down with Lol Creme and talk about Consequences, and especially the Gismo/Gizmotron, the mechanical device he and Kevin Godley developed with a series of serrated wheels that created bowed-string effects on guitars and bass. He said Consequences started out as a single to demonstrate the Gizmotron. Was just going to be a short project before they returned to 10cc. But it being the 70s, both aesthetically and pharmacologically, the project grew into a triple album.

Creme said something like, "The album came out within a couple week of Never Mind The Bollocks, which made Consequences look like the last gasp of the pompous previous generation of rock. Which it was."

He didn't seem too rueful, btw. Not everything works out, and that's OK. I keep a broken Gizmotron on a shelf behind my desk to remind me of that.

This is an interesting clip from 1977 on the Gizmo. Helios (and Consequences, iirc) cameo at 2:45: