Football Player injured from being mic'd up

DanGreen

I have often expressed concern for miking players on various sports shows that I have worked on. Mainly because the option of rigging everything into the helmet was never an option for me because the players would remove their helmets for the interview segments. Not being given the time to secure the tx in the padding or armor, I was always left with the typical 30 sec or so to wrap a strap around the player and get the mic secured somewhere and hope for the best. 

Any idea the brand/model tx they were using on the injured player?  I believe for NBA players they use Quantum 5x transmitters, which I have worked with hockey players.  Those transmitters are a little flexible and a lot thinner than anything else I use.  They're not Lectros though and just used an internal rechargeable battery if I remember correctly so it wasn't ideal.  Either way I would be a lot less concerned with a player landing on one of those than a bulkier metal house transmitter.

I had another show where we mic'ed up baseball players with Lectro SMQ's and the possibility of a weird injury on an awkward slide/roll was always in the back of my head.  Luckily baseball players don't spend as much time on their backs and no one we mic'ed had any issues with it.