MKH50/40 Hollow Foam Windscreen

mark kirchner

This is my first prototype of a foam “hollow in the middle” windscreen. I like the Schoeps B5d “hollow” windscreen, but wanted a simmular windscreen for the MKH50/40. With the addition of the windscreen to my kit I am no longer limited to my Cinela Leonard or just the standard foam windscreen. One of the most difficult parts to source was a plastic sleeve that would not scratch the microphone's finish. Now for some testing.

WindscreenMKH50Web.jpg

8 hours ago, Karl Wasserman said:

Nice, Mark! How'd you shape the internal part of the foam?

The foam windscreen needed to have an inside diameter of 30mm and 75 to 80mm deep to fit the plastic sleeve.  The first windscreen I am experimenting with is the Beyerdynamic WS-58. It was designed for the Beyerdynamic M58 dynamic “reporter” style stick microphone. This stock windscreen has a large “ball” shaped cavity inside to match the shape of the microphone. I have found that when swinging it on a boom the sidewalls are too thin, so I have added some foam to the inside (side walls) of the WS-58 windscreen.  I may fill the inside cavity with the “more open” foam, simmular to the interior foam of a Rycote Super-Softie.  My goal is to make a hybrid windscreen that is as transparent as possible and will allow more movement on the boom than a stock foam windscreen, but smaller than a “Leo” or “Baby Ball” basket.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...