I was wondering if anyone is familiar with digital preamps and the various unique sonic elements that different brands offer. I 've tried a number of
different analogue preamps in my life and can  audition the differences of an SSL preamp and a more commercial Tascam preamp as well as the
transparency of a Sonosax one but I am not much experienced on digital preamps. 
Has anyone compared the digital preamp offerings from Schoeps, Lake People and Audio root ?
I am  particularly interested on compact preamp offerings rather than 1 U units.
Is anyone aware of the current draw required for Digital Phantom Powering and whether DPP restricts on board batteries on compact units ( i.e. DPP needs an external power source ).
Since A/D is always taking place in the mic with digital mics, do digital preamps play as an important role as analogue ones ?

Best

Since A/D is always taking place in the mic with digital mics, do digital preamps play as an important role as analogue ones ?

Best

No they do not. These units are not preamps, but powering boxes to provide phantom power and sometimes they can convert the signal, too.

A boost can be applied in the digital domain, usually in the recorder, but this won't affect the signal.

I don't know about mobile options. The Schoeps unit is pretty small.

I have a battery powered in line module by Neumann, which also converts the signal to AES3, but I'm not sure they still make it.

It is very small, but I never use it, as I can connect digital mics straight to my recorder.

The SuperCMIT draws 170mA at 10V. The V is standardized, not sure about the A

Thanks for the insight Constantin

In my mind I was thinking that Digital preamps do not serve the sonic signature in the way that analogue do, especially since all the A/D is happening in the mic it self.
Regarding the Neumann mobile unit, it's advantages include  tweaking the limiter settings and a couple of more options which can be useful in extreme conditions, mot of the factory settings are best suited for the majority of circumstances.

Best

Yes, of course, these boxes are not preamps, which is what I was trying to say. They are simply powering/converter boxes.

I was not referring to the DMI, but to this:

https://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_accessories&cid=db_current_accessories&dbid=164

When I bought it, I got it with a Sennheiser battery pack so it's totally mobile

However, you cannot change any settings with it

Cool, I was not aware of this accessory

How long does the battery last and which would be it's charge up time Constantin ?

Thank you 

I don't know, like I said, I don't actually use it and never have. Just once to try it out, but didn't check for runtime. It may also depend on the mic connected. The batterypack holds 3 or 4 regular AA batteries. I haven't been able to find the exact product on Sennheiser's website, but if you are really curious, I am sure you could find it. It also shouldn't be too difficult to build something yourself