Remote Audio MEON Hi-Q batteries

Shastapete

On June 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM, MartinTheMixer said:

You really don't know how many watt hours of capacity until you test them.

That's sort of true, but no more true than testing the voltage or A/hr capacity or other specifics will give you the only real performance of a particular battery. Testing with your specific equipment rig is the only way to know all of these factors about a battery's performance.

9 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

That's sort of true, but no more true than testing the voltage or A/hr capacity or other specifics will give you the only real performance of a particular battery. Testing with your specific equipment rig is the only way to know all of these factors about a battery's performance.

Glen, The way I test is to see what the wattage draw is from my bag, then, test the battery with that wattage pull and see what the readings are when the battery reaches the level considered to be the ending voltage level. Then I can see what the a/hr capacity is. This test is slightly flawed, because, If you test with 3 dual receivers pulling current, then battery life is shorter than only one receiver pulling power, of course.

SMbus gives you all the information you need.

The Smart Battery has electronics and sensors that indicate battery temperature , remaining capacity, run time, battery voltage, power consummation and power charge cycles.

In my experience the SMbus info is very accurate.

But how can you get a read-out of that info? Does the battery itself have a display?

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

But how can you get a read-out of that info? Does the battery itself have a display?

I think it just has a multi-segment level meter, and otherwise you need a separate device to read the data...

1 hour ago, Abe Dolinger said:

... like the Audioroot product. In which case you may as well buy the Audioroot batteries, which probably have a matching firmware.

Or wait until Remote Audio releases theirs. 

AW

1 hour ago, Adam White said:

I think it just has a multi-segment level meter, and otherwise you need a separate device to read the data...

... like the Audioroot product. In which case you may as well buy the Audioroot batteries, which probably have a matching firmware.

Or wait until Remote Audio releases theirs. 

AW

The remote audio batteries display all the information on the audioroot BDS system. You don't need to wait for any firmware to come out, they are already compatible.

1 hour ago, Adam White said:

Audioroot can currently read all of these SMbus batteries, but they *could* choose to lockout non audioroot batteries but that would be a disastrous play.

I trust Rado and Jose that these batteries (all OEMed by Inspired Energy) are 99.9% the same

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, Abe Dolinger said:

Speculation: changing the battery in any way is a lot more expensive than just changing the label, so probably all of these batteries are made exactly the same and labeled differently.

Not really.

Even if I order one battery I wait 2 weeks because it is build to order.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:51 AM, Constantin said:

http://www.rrc-ps.com/en/products/battery-packs/standard-battery-packs/smbus-reader/features.html

On June 21, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Abe Dolinger said:

Speculation: changing the battery in any way is a lot more expensive than just changing the label, so probably all of these batteries are made exactly the same and labeled differently.

The SMBus batteries have a microchip with firmware in them. Inspired Energy loads a custom firmware with a unique manufacturer code to each battery for each manufacturer. If the manufacturer decides to then create a compatible SMBus device, say a power distro or a charger, they can load a firmware on that device to only work with their manufacturer code.

Luckily, this hasn't been an issue, as all devices have been open, but they can easily decide to limit their devices to only work with their batteries. This would only apply to newer products, any products currently out there would still work as they currently do.

On June 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Adam White said:

Yes, "the ideal and essential SMBus battery diagnostic tool for development engineers."

It's a diagnostics tool. You just connect each lead to its respective battery terminal. The point is you don't need to have an audioroot distro or charger to see the SMBus info.

4 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

It's a diagnostics tool. You just connect each lead to its respective battery terminal. The point is you don't need to have an audioroot distro or charger to see the SMBus info.

Fair enough.Is there an easy way (or hard way!) to have this device connected to the battery and view the data while you're shooting?

39 minutes ago, Adam White said:

Fair enough.Is there an easy way (or hard way!) to have this device connected to the battery and view the data while you're shooting?

Any SMBUS reader. You can DIY . AudioRoot distro is the only one that I know of for bag use.

I personally don't use the AudioRoot distro anymore because my bag setup does not change and I know what to expect from the IE battery.