Remote Audio MEON Hi-Q batteries

Shastapete

On June 14, 2016 at 10:15 AM, RadoStefanov said:

I received conformation that rev 1.0 is older generation Cells. Rev 1.3 and 1.4 have the new Panasonic cells.

Remote audio is using older cells.

The above statement is also not true, as explained below:

v1.0 means it's the first battery specification of the Remote Audio Hi-Q brand, and is not related to any other brand or cell type. The Remote Audio brand has 3.4A/hr Panasonic cells, and have the highest run time capacity currently available for this form factor. Other optional cells may have a higher initial current delivery capability, but for powering sound equipment in a bag (typical use in this group), the 3.4A/hr Panasonic cells give the longest run time, which is why they were specified.

1 hour ago, Glen Trew said:

Rado hasn't seen the Remote Audio cup yet, so it's actually his statement that is garbage, clearly motivated by an imagined sense of feeling slighted.

For typical use in the bag, the Inspired Energy cup comes off too easily, and the Audio Root cup is too difficult to disconnect, but those are what are currently available.

Remote Audio is developing a cup for these batteries that is more ideal for the way most sound people use them, and should be available in the not too distant future, but not yet.

Slighted??? I have no idea what you are talking about.

The cup at NAB "which is the IE cup" is garbage.I have no telepathic abilities to know what you are developing.

Many people use AudioRoot cup and have no problem disconnecting.

Thank You

40 minutes ago, Glen Trew said:

v1.0 means it's the first battery specification of the Remote Audio Hi-Q brand, and is not related to any other brand or cell type. The Remote Audio brand has 3.4A/hr Panasonic cells, and have the highest run time capacity currently available for this form factor. Other optional cells may have a higher initial current delivery capability, but for powering sound equipment in a bag (typical use in this group), the 3.4A/hr Panasonic cells give the longest run time, which is why they were specified.

Glen ,

There is no way I can debate your statement without involving Dave and I would not do it.

I am out of this conversation.

Just need to share a little warning:

ZAXCOM NOMAD,MAXX AND MIXPLEXER1 USERS BE AWARE:

Inspired Energy battery has issues with Zaxcom gear AC filters which trips the battery and resets for approximately 75 seconds. 75 seconds is a long time our world. "waiting on sound"

1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

Slighted??? I have no idea what you are talking about.

The cup at NAB "which is the IE cup" is garbage.I have no telepathic abilities to know what you are developing.

Many people use AudioRoot cup and have no problem disconnecting.

Thank You

Glen ,

There is no way I can debate your statement without involving Dave and I would not do it.

I am out of this conversation.

Inspired Energy battery has issues with Zaxcom gear AC filters which trips the battery and resets for approximately 75 seconds. 75 seconds is a long time our world. "waiting on sound"

When does this happen? On initial power up with all devices turned on?  I can trip my BDS sometimes if I power up everything at once.  I have the Nomad on the unswitched port and turn it on separately and that seems to solve the problem.  What are AC filters?  Just curious on all of this because I'm considering switching to this type of battery at some point in the future.

1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

Yes, I'd love some specifics on all of this as to what causes this and how to avoid it. :)

For what it's worth, I use the IE non locking cup in my bag and have never had an accidental kick out.  They are not garbage, they just don't lock onto the battery. My batteries are vertical and in they're own pocket though so the don't have far to move.

I occasionally can trip my IE batteries on power up, but it doesn't happen very often to me.  The micplexer v1 always did for me, the v2 doesn't seem to have this issue.

39 minutes ago, berniebeaudry said:

When does this happen? On initial power up with all devices turned on?  I can trip my BDS sometimes if I power up everything at once.  I have the Nomad on the unswitched port and turn it on separately and that seems to solve the problem.  What are AC filters?  Just curious on all of this because I'm considering switching to this type of battery at some point in the future.

18 minutes ago, PalmerT said:

Yes, I'd love some specifics on all of this as to what causes this and how to avoid it. :)

rolling sound . Will post specifics later.

Like most rechargeable batteries, these have internal overload protection for the cells and internal wiring. When equipment is turned on, the instantaneous current requirement can be much higher than he equipment draws when in normal operation. Therefor, if all equipment is turned on at the same time, the combined startup current can exceed the rated capacity of the supply (in this case, the battery) and trigger the battery's internal circuit breaker. This can happen with any supply or any battery, depending on the capacity of the supply and the combined in-rush startup current of the equipment. If this happens with your bag rig, decide which piece of equipment would be the most convenient to keep turned off until all the others have powered up, and then turn it on a couple of seconds after everything else, or maybe turn it on first (using the unswitched outlet of a BDS like  berniebeaudry described above), and then everything else.

When I first dived in to Inspired Energy batteries I was getting strange power malfunction. Glenn Sanders and the product engineer from Inspired Enrgy helped me pin point the issue.

Zaxcom gear "Nomad, Maxx and Micplexer1" uses 2200 mFD caps that help with AC filtering.  They are marked C986  with white font. They trip the battery internal circuit for 70-75 seconds especially when the battery is fresh from the charger. Both caps or only one should be removed. "with only one removed the trip still occurs but not as often" I don't see a situation where I would use AC so took off mine. No problem with the caps off.

This problem was experienced with all flavors of Inspired Energy Batteries - the originals, AudioRoot and Remote Audio.

I would not recommend these batteries for Zaxcom users without my mod.

WP_20160616_14_06_57_Pro.jpg

It seems like some users have had issues with Zaxcom stuff and the batteries tripping, but then other people like José don't have issues. It would be interesting to see if this is a difference in setup or if it is a difference in gear specifics. 

2 hours ago, PalmerT said:

It seems like some users have had issues with Zaxcom stuff and the batteries tripping, but then other people like José don't have issues. It would be interesting to see if this is a difference in setup or if it is a difference in gear specifics. 

I bet I can trip Jose's gear especially if he is not going through the bgdu distro. It is not magic. It is electronics. 

And again if you don't care about AC power it is absolutely correctable.

23 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

So Glen, to confirm, because I really like Remote Audio and I would be using these batteries through a BDSV4u, the Remote Audio batteries are going to be just as good as the others, with the possible exception of initial rush-current draw, correct?

Any ETA on when Remote Audio's cup will become available?

8 hours ago, BAB414 said:

So Glen, to confirm, because I really like Remote Audio and I would be using these batteries through a BDSV4u, the Remote Audio batteries are going to be just as good as the others, with the possible exception of initial rush-current draw, correct?

Any ETA on when Remote Audio's cup will become available?

Yes. The Remote Audio Hi-Q batteries have the highest Watt-hour capacity Panasonic cells that will fit, giving a total run time for the full size battery of 95W/hr . The cells in the Hi-Q batteries are brand new, current production Panasonic cells (a shame this should need to be mentioned due to a false claim earlier in this thread), and are the same cells as other batteries in this form factor. The inrush current circuit protection is also the same. Other batteries can be specified with different cells when, for example, higher continuous current draw is needed, but the trade-off is in reduced run time for the amount of current sound rigs typically draw, so they would not be the best choice for typical audio bag use.

Production runs of the Remote Audio cup are probably two months away.

Yes. The Remote Audio Hi-Q batteries have the highest Watt-hour capacity Panasonic cells that will fit, giving a total run time for the full size battery of 95W/hr . The cells in the Hi-Q batteries are brand new, current production Panasonic cells (a shame this should need to be mentioned due to a false claim earlier in this thread), and are the same cells as other batteries in this form factor. The inrush current circuit protection is also the same. Other batteries can be specified with different cells when, for example, higher continuous current draw is needed, but the trade-off is in reduced run time for the amount of current sound rigs typically draw, so they would not be the best choice for typical audio bag use.

Production runs of the Remote Audio cup are probably two months away.

Dear Glen,

I don't understand why you are calling shame and attacking me for information that was delivered to me by the product engineer at  Inspired Energy.I tend to believe him.

Bunch of people were interested in the difference  between the original and remote audio batteries so I clarified it.

I am not trying to talk down your batteries "Hell I just purchased 2 last week ".

I am sure the difference is very subtle but there is a difference.

Thank You

"Dear Rado,

The NH2054HD34 moved from Rev 1.0 to 1.3 due to updates for the latest in cell technology and a couple label updates."

Thank you Xxxx,
So the revision 1.0 uses older cells compared to rev. 1.3?

Simply put yes........"

At the end of the day SmBus gives you bunch of information and I can easily test my ver 1.3 IE against the 1.0 RE when I get the time and when I get my serial smbus reader back from my friend.

40 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

The NH2054HD34 moved from Rev 1.0 to 1.3 due to updates for the latest in cell technology and a couple label updates."

I understood Glen's comments to mean that the Remote Audio batteries are IE v1.3, and the 1.0 printed on the outside refers to Remote Audio's own v1.0

As mentioned earlier, the v1.0,  v1.1 or 1.2 or v1.3, or whatever the v number is on any batteries of this type simply indicates the number of revisions done regarding the specification of particular brand. As mentioned from Rado's snippet above, it could even be a change in the label. The current Remote Audio brand is designated v1.0 because it is the first (and only) version yet specified by Remote Audio. If any of the specification changes, including the color, cell type, or a single word in the label, that battery will be designated v1.1. The vX.X on any brand has no relationship to the vX.X on any other brand. So, the v1.0 of the Remote Audio brand could be (and does) use exactly the same new Panasonic cells and circuitry as a v1.3 of another brand.

4 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

"Dear Rado,

Thank you Xxxx,
So the revision 1.0 uses older cells compared to rev. 1.3?

Simply put yes........"

The quoted information has only to do with that person's brand, and has no bearing on the vX.X numbers on any other brand. According to the information quoted above, at some point this brand made two label changes and one change in internal cells, or three changes, total. This would account for advancing from v1.0 to v1.3. It is likely that the cell change involved replacing their original cell type with the same Panasonic cells used in the current Remote Audio brand v1.0.

3 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

The quoted information has only to do with that person's brand, and has no bearing on the vX.X numbers on any other brand. According to the information quoted above, at some point this brand made two label changes and one change in internal cells, or three changes, total. This would account for advancing from v1.0 to v1.3. It is likely that the cell change involved replacing their original cell type with the same Panasonic cells used in the current Remote Audio brand v1.0.

After I was assured by Inspired Energy regardless of the difference they have the same performance I purchased 2 NH2054RE34 REMOTE AUDIO batteries.

It does not matter which battery.

You are making a very big deal out of nothing.

and thus, it begat that the JWS group descended in a similar fashion to the previous group known as RAMPS, where a bunch of rude and foul mouthed 'condescending bigots' brought the tone down so far as to make the group worthless ;-)

Happy Father's Day y'all......

sb