use polyphonic or monoaural BWF/WAV with 744t?

greg sextro

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed somewhere else before.

Just went thru the SD 744t manual, and I am still cofused as to what the difference is between the two formats.  I could probably forge a guess, but need to know exactly which one I should be using and what the difference is.

Also, another question came to mind today:  are you guys generally running in free run time code or 24 hour time code?

Thanks for any help

-Greg-

Just went thru the SD 744t manual, and I am still cofused as to what the difference is between the two formats.

-Greg-

Most of the recorders, but not all, can make BWF poly files or mono files. Most, but not all, post facilities can deal with either. Simply stated, the differences are thus: BWF MONO file is 1 file per track: so, if you record 1 track only, 1 file will represent that "take" from the time you press record to the time you press stop. If you were to record 2 tracks for that same take, the recorder would produce 2 files, one representing track 1 and the other representing track 2. Now, BWF POLY file creates ONE FILE for that take, even if the take was recorded on 1 track, 2 tracks, 3 tracks, etc. With POLY files, the take that was only track 1 would be one file that is track 1. If the take was recorded on 2 tracks, it would still be one file that is often referred to as being "2 tracks wide". Similarly, if 8 tracks were recorded it would still be only one file, 8 tracks wide.

There are some advantages beyond just the compatibility issues of mono vs. poly files (tranfer and copy times for files, etc.) but obviously the compatibility issue is the big one --- if the facility can't see your files, your work, they're not going to be happy. This brings us back to what old school and others recommend which is ASK QUESTIONS, make tests, and so on, and now you can do that with an understanding of the basic differences between mono files and poly files.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler