Slow

Nick Flowers

Yes, this has been the case for many months. I'd just ignored it, but since Nick has brought it up...

Seems to be a latency issue, rather than a bandwidth issue. One clicks a link, and the entire website freezes for several seconds while chrome says "waiting for jwsoundgroup.net". During the several second latency freeze, the website is unresponsive and you cannot click on another link to another page until your original command finally loads.

Looks like it might be a trans-Atlantic thing, if Jamie is suffering the same problem as I am. Yes Jim, still an issue this morning (Sunday). I click on a thingy and it will take 10 to 15 seconds for the action to take place. Not really a problem, but a little irritating. It seemed to start (for me) about a week ago. There are so many links in the chain I should think that it is very hard to pin down the cause.

Nick.

Nick,

What was confusing about the Tracert?  

Each line that it reports back is a "hop" or router in your connection between your computer and JWS.  The programs will generally report the IP address and DNS name of the router.  After that are generally 3 values in milliseconds, the Min/Max/Avg ping times from your computer to that address.

If you see a router with a really high ping time, that is likely where your connection is bogging down.  It is also likely that router is dropping packets as well.

Dear Matt! You are substantially over estimating my ability - when I looked up Tracert it seemed that I had to go into Command mode (with the black screen and typewriter font), which is Terra Incognita for me. Having learned the hard way in the past not to mess with things I don't even partially understand I am content to submit myself to the slings and arrows of outrageous computers, with no more than a few muttered curses!

Optical telegraphs are indeed of great interest to me. Although I am more familiar with British Admiralty system that stretched from Plymouth, Portsmouth, Deal and Great Yarmouth to London (and there is a preserved tower at Chatley Heath of a slightly later system), The French (God it hurts me to say this) had a better and lengthier system stretching as far as Dalmatia. It features in 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

http://www.johnhearfield.com/Radar/Chappe.htm

Here is a picture of Chatley Heath tower.

Chatley Heath.jpg

That is so kind of you, Jose. I have done as the video instructed and I got a result. I am ashamed to admit that I can make neither head nor tail of what it says! I have tried to copy and paste it here without success - I couldn't even do a screen shot. I must seem a terrible dunce. 

It took 14 steps to get to JW and the whole event took about 15 seconds, rather like the time it takes to get a result from a normal click.

I really do appreciate your helping me out here Jose. Alas, I began to get out of my depth when thermionic valves (tubes) went out of fashion and I am now rather like a laboratory rat pressing buttons for a food pellet. It works but I don't know why.

I asked my internet service provider about why JW was so slow for me and this was their reply, (FWIW):

>>I'm seeing "ERROR 522: Origin Connection Time-out" for
http://jwsoundgroup.net/uploads/javascript_core/plugins_plugins.js.2cbb94bdc315a32d566daa5f915857cc.js?v=1d9ff6eb22

Something is doing this on the server the forum is hosted on. It's out of our control.<<<<

Does this make any sense?

8 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I asked my internet service provider about why JW was so slow for me and this was their reply, (FWIW):

>>I'm seeing "ERROR 522: Origin Connection Time-out" for
http://jwsoundgroup.net/uploads/javascript_core/plugins_plugins.js.2cbb94bdc315a32d566daa5f915857cc.js?v=1d9ff6eb22

Something is doing this on the server the forum is hosted on. It's out of our control.<<<<

Does this make any sense?

I will pass this on to my server host so that they can continue to try and sort this out. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...