NFL Mic pack injury

Brian Liston

So a football player is now blaming his injury on a Tx pack "puncturing his lung." Yikes!

I'd be interested to learn more about how this happened. Where was the Tx placed on his body, how was it mounted, what type of Tx, and certainly any medial evidence.

With the high salaries that these guys make, could this make us culpable for the injury?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2644159-randall-cobb-qa-never-again-getting-micd-up-after-injury?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Here's the pertinent bit from that interview:

B/R: OK, now for a football question. In late May, Aaron Rodgerssaid on A.J. Hawk’s football podcast that he believes you suffered a punctured lung because of the microphone that was hooked up to your body. Do you think that was the case?

RC: That’s the theory I have had since it happened. It’s not the (microphone), it’s the battery pack that was attached to the mic that was on my back. If you go back and look, there’s a battery pack that was on the back of my shoulder pads that is right adjacent to where I punctured my lung. There’s no way to scientifically prove that, but I didn’t break or fracture a rib. So what other thing could have poked up through my ribs and punctured my lung?

B/R: So if they asked to mic you up again…

RC: Never again, not even a question. They already know not to even ask me about it. Mentally, it took me a while to get over it. I had a few instances where I freaked out.

B/R: What do you mean?

RC: I was told to refrain from traveling a little bit.

B/R: Because of the pressure change in the airplane.

RC: Yes, because of the air pressure. I was very fortunate that the puncture wasn’t big enough to collapse my lung. So learning more about some of those things, it mentally bothered me and that was a barrier I had to get over. But it was just something that mentally played a part with me.

I have no idea what caused his injury and I don't know where Randall Cobb's transmitter (what he calls a "battery pack," I think) was placed. But here's a PR picture from 2007 showing a couple NFL Films guys with TX mounted on pads:

NFL_Films_SMD_Pads.jpg

Would mixers be held accountable? I kinda doubt it because our pockets aren't very deep. Would NFL Films? Perhaps; I have no idea. But I don't know if the athlete could make a claim... the medical insurance company might look for some entity to pay them back, though.