600MHz Auction

Hey guys. Ive been reading the "Production Sound & Video" magazing that the 695 mailed me and I'm hoping I can start an educational conversation about the auctioning of 600MHz. The following is my understanding of the matter and I want to obtain clarification on the subject.  

The demand for more spectrum has risen in cell phone companies to try and keep up with the rising tech demand. These cell companies know that their products work better at higher frequencies which also keeps the phone/antenna smaller. Congress, in order to make money, wants to auction off the 600MHz band thinking these cell companies want it. But the lower frequencies cause antennas to be too big for normal sized phones. The transmitting antennas also become much bigger in this case. Not only that, but congresses bad idea to auction 600MHz wont make enough money for it to be rewarding. These cell companies are going to have to pay to make their phones bigger and to change their transmitting antennas and the government will have to pay the TV stations to relocate away from the 600MHz. So instead of just switching everything around and having the government lose money, why not just let the cell phone companies use frequencies up to 5GHz? 

These are just my first thoughts as I read the article. Im hoping some well-versed RF gurus can chime in. It's very interesting. 

-Chris 

Hi.  Did you do a search of JWSound on this subject?   If (when) you do you will find that it has been already discussed in great depth with contributions by some of the most knowledgeable people in the field.  Put "600 MHz" in the search zone at the top right of this window and start reading.  If you have specific questions come on back!

Thanks, Philip, I decided to try search myself (since I am paying for Google search routine for this site) and you are right on the money giving this advice. Searching on 600 mhz yields: About 190 results (0.33 seconds). Probably some pretty good reading in there somewhere.