Simple PA advice

Lancashire soundie

PA isn't an area I'm familiar with, but I have a simple question.  I've been asked to give someone an idea of what's needed for a press conference situation.  Currently, they have two dynamic mics (say Shure SM58 for example) plugged into the balanced inputs of one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-EPA900-Europort-Channel-Portable/dp/B002BZX76G

That feeds a couple of speakers (via mono jacks).  I take a feed via the "tape out" sockets, at line level.  It's all perfectly fine, but occasionally if someone clouts one of the microphones, the system will cut off the speakers, presumably to protect them from overload.  I still get a feed of the mics, but that's no good if there's an audience there.  I've tried combinations of reducing input/output levels, to no avail.  When it happens, I have to turn the thing off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on again.  A bit embarrassing for them really (I didn't choose the system)

Is there a really simple alternative, perhaps one in a rack, or a portable mixing desk with built in power amplification?  Perhaps keeping the speakers and replacing the mixer/amp with a higher quality device that won't cut out?  One with multiple inputs, in case they have more complicated demands in future?  I've even considered a cheap old SQN or something, feeding a rack-mounted power amplifier.

Yes, of course there are many many powered mixers available, which should all do what you are after. That SQN/rackmount amp would work as well, of course. I have an old 1U Alesis amp and a Behringer rackmount mixer for such occasions where the demand is not so hifi

Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the Amp/Speaker system.  A hit mic isn't going to create more sonic pressure than a kick drum mic. There may be a short circuit in one of the speakers, speaker wires, or amp outputs. Works fine at lower levels and then the amp breaker goes when there is a pulse of power going out- something to check- I've seen that a few times over the years...Often 1 strand of speaker wire touching the other polarity-sometimes inside the speaker wire connectors.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

That is a fault for sure. The overload protection shouldn't be kicking in until you have been driving it very hard for hours for example.

Check your speaker cables and the speakers themselves. There is almost certainly a resistive short there. If that checks out, send the mixer back and get a new one under warranty.

Ok well I don't have much time on location to do that, but I'll see if running on one or the other speakers alone changes anything.  Unfortunately it isn't my PA kit, and the soundkit I'm using on the job isn't my kit either.  They have another PA system that lacks line outputs, so as a workaround I may send their mics through my mixer and feed that PA myself.