DPA Slim Mounting Techniques

Jaymz

I'm only into day 16 with two slims. With the snorkel through a button hole sounds excellent and it is actually very difficult to see.

On t-shirts it works well at the collar (without the snorkel) with the business end at the cloth side. Otherwise I have not tried too much, but for buttonholes it is brilliant - except when there is even the slightest hint of wind

Business end at the cloth side using a concealer? Sure would be nice to have some kind of vampire clip.

Have you had trouble keeping the button hole snorkel in, and if not, how do you secure it? Mine keep wanting to fall out (they do sound remarkable, amazing given the physics of such a small right angle tube. FYI they now have white snorkels as well as black, and They're to find they're $10 ea.!  - bought some extras as they are very easy to lose.

On 16/06/2016 at 5:20 PM, Constantin said:

I'm only into day 16 with two slims. With the snorkel through a button hole sounds excellent and it is actually very difficult to see.

On t-shirts it works well at the collar (without the snorkel) with the business end at the cloth side. Otherwise I have not tried too much, but for buttonholes it is brilliant - except when there is even the slightest hint of wind

Snorkel with a "Hint of wind", would that include someone moving across a room? Or are they ok for that?

Snorkel with a "Hint of wind", would that include someone moving across a room? Or are they ok for that?

Thanks [emoji4]

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit. Walking is fine (the oft-seen walk-and-talk is really easy with these), even running might be. But an exhale through the nose can already be a problem

I find that the "snorkel" does pop out of the button hole. By using some tape wide enough to cover the back it will stay in palce. Breathing is by far the biggest issue but a brisk walk and talk can also prove a challenge. I whish there were clear snorkels to use on a variety of coloured clothing and make it even more transparent. I like to use them in the top button hole and run the cable under the collar and down the back. If the jacket is off talk to wardrobe about a small incision under the middle of the collar. No question though it is another great tool to have.

Bill

talk to wardrobe about a small incision under the middle of the collar.

Bill

Recently I have found that I won't get the small incisions anymore. On at least two recent jobs, I asked for a very small hole on the inside of a suit jacket. Just big enough to pass a B6 through. I was denied it in both cases, for some spurious reasons. I was astonished. I had done this previously and it was never a problem. Now it suddenly is.

I'm a big fan of the new concealer mounts with the metal spacer. It pushes fabric away from the mic element, and it seems to work about 90% of the time for me, but I did too experience a lot issues with any normal wind conditions outdoors. Then I began experimenting, and decided to try the regular DPA lav windscreen and I sandwiched it within the concealer, and voilá, no more wind noise issues.

image.jpeg

On 25/06/2016 at 3:34 PM, Jose Frias said:

I'm a big fan of the new concealer mounts with the metal spacer. It pushes fabric away from the mic element, and it seems to work about 90% of the time for me, but I did too experience a lot issues with any normal wind conditions outdoors. Then I began experimenting, and decided to try the regular DPA lav windscreen and I sandwiched it within the concealer, and voilá, no more wind noise issues.

image.jpeg

Nice, have done similar and will be testing out properly this week. Tried to fit a cut overcover in but it was a bit messy and kept coming out. Would be interested to see a pic of Rado's fur solution. Shame the snorkel has such wind issues, maybe a future version that could be addressed. 

Nice, have done similar and will be testing out properly this week. Tried to fit a cut overcover in but it was a bit messy and kept coming out. Would be interested to see a pic of Rado's fur solution. Shame the snorkel has such wind issues, maybe a future version that could be addressed. 

I wouldn't call them wind issues. Before the Slim I used to use an exposed B6 through a buttonhole. That did have just as much wind noise. Any unprotected mic will be susceptible to wind.

That said, it would be great if DPA could come up with a tiny windsock to fit over the snorkel

• 2 weeks later...

The snorkle can work well but is susceptible to breath pops as mentioned above.  I've tried the concealer in a number of configurations,  I like its sound less than the snorkel.  A lot of the time I find they pick up more clothing rustle than a COS11 in a RM mount since the Slim is more sensitive and delicate.  I've had good results with the Slim in a similar rubber mount with a windscreen inside.  The fit is snug enough to keep it in place in most situations.  A well designed vampire clip for the Slim would be would be a welcomed addition to the tackle box.  

20160325_094641.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just ordered two of my own after trying out a demo.   They seem like really nice mics.  The only complaint I have heard seemed to be related to the cable being noisier than the 4060, but I didn't really notice any real difference.     I was going to order 4060's but went with the slim instead.

Constantin?  Rado? Any difference you notice with cables?