Zaxcom HD Day at Trew Audio Toronto

There are no plans for a live stream that I know of. This event is mostly in the form of an open house showing the Zaxcom HD wireless and discussing it with Glenn Sanders. I'm told there will be demonstrations involving someone on a bicycle in downtown Toronto to show the improved range of the Zaxcom HD system. If it requires a bicycle, it must be pretty impressive.

On 6/16/2016 at 8:55 PM, Glen Trew said:

There are no plans for a live stream that I know of. This event is mostly in the form of an open house showing the Zaxcom HD wireless and discussing it with Glenn Sanders. I'm told there will be demonstrations involving someone on a bicycle in downtown Toronto to show the improved range of the Zaxcom HD system. If it requires a bicycle, it must be pretty impressive.

Pretty impressive a bicycle is included, however it will be used :-)

4 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

It was a great event. Thanks to Glen Glenn and the guys at trew audio. Very cool range test. Some of us almost even got run-over by other bikers. 

Any details of the range test or how it was done?

I got some photos, but they really don't tell the story. While the range test was not scientific, and no exact distances were measured, everyone there felt that the distance in that environment was impressive, and further than expected. We did get some map points so we should soon be able to show the start and stop points on a map.

Our volunteer (Jeremy Vincent, or rental manager) was wired with the Zaxcom ZHD body pack transmitter and took off down the bike trail while the rest of us stayed huddled around the bag containing a ZHD receiver with whip antennas and a SpeakEasy speaker. Jeremy and the entourage had walkie talkies for two-way communication. We could hear Jeremy loud and clear as he biked away to a very impressive distance. The transmitter on Jeremy was actually on his chest (putting his body between the transmuter and the receiver. When drops outs finally occurred, though at a very impressive distance, we asked him to put the tramitter on his back, which actually allowed him to go double the distance. In fact, during that second part of the test we never got dropouts, but since he was completely out of sight, and we were getting hungry, we radioed him to come back, which, at the distance he was, it took a while.

Keep in mind that this test was using diversity whip antennas on the receiver. Glenn Sanders claimed that shark fin antennas would have doubled the range. At some point we'll do a more controlled test using different antenna types, straight line tests, multiple closely tuned (100kHz and 200kHz spacing) and an analog comparison and post the results. But from what I saw Saturday, I think the ZHD system do well with range.