Boom mic advice

Miranda

29 minutes ago, Miranda said:

Hi

Im wanting to get some basic starter equipment, does anyone have advice for a cheap but good mic that is good for booming?

Thanks. 

No. I don't think anybody has any advice. If you've spent any time on this site reading any of the thousands  of posts since I started this site in 2006, you should have been able to come to some conclusions on your own. 

This is for a university assignment that requires me to interact with people on online forums. I am new to this world, so I apologize for my ignorance. I have had a look around your site and thought it may be one I use in the future when I have more knowledge about the industry. But it seems that you, and the members that engage with the site, are a bunch of condescending pricks so I'm happy to go somewhere else.

10 hours ago, Miranda said:

This is for a university assignment that requires me to interact with people on online forums. I am new to this world, so I apologize for my ignorance. I have had a look around your site and thought it may be one I use in the future when I have more knowledge about the industry. But it seems that you, and the members that engage with the site, are a bunch of condescending pricks so I'm happy to go somewhere else.

Your university may not have taught you proper forum protocol as well as the even more important skill of doing research. 

This is a site by, of, and for professional sound mixers.

If you had channeled some of your self-righteousness into investing more time and energy researching here, you would have likely realized that over time we have received a great number of requests quite similar to yours.  Even though it's not in our self interest, dozens upon dozens of detailed answers have been forthcoming to this same question over time.

So, given that some newcomers feel too entitled to spend the time to learn that we are here to discuss sound mixing as working professionals, and that those same newcomers are too lazy to spend the time to learn that there has been a massive amount of discussion about all types of microphones that they could acquire their desired knowledge from, there comes a point when such rudeness on the part of newcomers is not rewarded.

4 hours ago, VAS said:

Rode NTG-3

Ooh. I just bought an MKH50 and I would say this mic would be cheap at twice the price - quiet, clear, versatile and with so much off axis rejection, gorgeous. My only regret - I didn't buy 1 sooner.

In all seriousness, I do think research is somewhat of a dying art with the millenial generation.  After all they have never had to visit a library and it's easier to ask Siri than actually looking for an answer.  I used a run a large forum that was targeted mainly at people in Audio and Theatre Technology education and it was astonishing how many people would post and ask for someone to write their assignment for them.

Is that enough to earn a 'Condescending Prick' badge for my bag?

6 minutes ago, NBJersey said:

In all seriousness, I do think research is somewhat of a dying art with the millenial generation.  After all they have never had to visit a library and it's easier to ask Siri than actually looking for an answer.  I used a run a large forum that was targeted mainly at people in Audio and Theatre Technology education and it was astonishing how many people would post and ask for someone to write their assignment for them.

Is that enough to earn a 'Condescending Prick' badge for my bag?

No doubt the entitlement generation is minting a badge for you even as we speak...

...well...

...it may be a while as they're likely expecting someone to do it for them.

12 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

It seems like there have been a lot of little exchanges like this in the past while.  Is using a search function a lost art, out of fashion or just not part of current internet protocol anymore?

There are those that can be referred to as "ask holes".  They want advice or recommendations on something, ask a thousand questions and proceed to waste a lot of your time.  Then they don't thank you for the work you put into it, don't follow up on your recommendations, and go off and do whatever they already decided to do before they wasted your time.