Mp3 batch convert app with tc

I've created a small app for Macs that will batch convert bwav files to mp3 files with Tc in the metadata.  I plan to release this utility as open source (free) software, hopefully very soon.  First I need to do some testing to check that it's doing what it's supposed to, and I don't have ready access to a sound devices recorder to check if how their metadata is written differs from Zaxcom implementation.

If there are any sound devices users that would be interested in this app and are willing to create and send a few small test files to me to work with, that would be very helpful.  If you're willing, please pm me and I'll describe what i'm looking for.

Currently the app is designed as a drag and drop, where you drag your wave files onto the app and it creates mp3 files using channel 1 of the wav in the same folder as your source files.  I'm open to suggestions of how this app should work, within the context of a batch convert utility.  I do not plan on implementing playback, monitoring, etc, nor is it possible for this app to be a full service wav / mp3 utility.

Thank you all for your support.  I have a working beta version, but I found out that it's only working on the latest OS, 10.10 & 10.11, possibily 10.9.  I'm working on making some changes to support earlier os's.  I figure a lot of mixers keep older os's longer than an average consumer.  Got swamped with overlapping jobs, so it'll likely be another week before I can make those updates.

• 2 weeks later...

This utility is now available.  This is the first version, I would not be surprised if there are bugs that I have not discovered yet.  Please let me know if you discover any odd behavior, incorrect metadata, errors, etc.  App download and installation instructions can be found at:

http://wanderingear.net/products/bwav-to-tc-mp3/

This will take a poly BWAV file, and use track 1 to create an MP3 with TC and other metadata embedded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 Jul 2016 at 0:56 AM, Wandering Ear said:

Derek, what version of OS X are you running?  Strings is a command line utility I am using to reformat some metadata, it sounds as if it isn't included in all installations of OS X.  I may use a different utility if that's the case.

no first hand experience, but they seem to have removed it from standard install with mavericks:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5549532?start=0&tstart=0

4 hours ago, stacysound said:

This is awesome. Thanks. How hard would it be to have an option to put the timecode on the Left/Rght channel of the MP3?

This is better done in the recording stage, and is not possible in this app.  I am only reading metadata, converting the format, then rewriting the metadata.

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

no first hand experience, but they seem to have removed it from standard install with mavericks:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5549532?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks Chris.  I cam across that discussion too.  I haven't had anytime to make changes, I may rewrite the metadata extraction again to support files from other recorders, as each system has minor variations in the way it's stored.  For now, only files from Sound Devices and Zaxcom have been tested and confirmed.  I will post an update once I have a break from production work.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very exciting to find!  Thank you for creating this app!

However, when I downloaded everything, it doesn't seem to show running TC.  Am I missing something?  It opened in my iTunes music folder and I see a  TC stamp but I don't see it running.  I imagined it to be very similar to Wave Agent which Sound Devices has for WAV files. Maybe I am off base or have done something wrong.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Marla

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, neeco13 said:

Could the app be compatible with Mac Os 10.6? I still use for post-production it as it's a rock solid platform! Thanks

I'm not sure as I don't have a system that runs 10.6, but I am happy to try and make it compatible.  If you've tried it and it doesn't work, please copy the error text and send it to me either in a pm or through my website contact form and I will see what I can do.

On 8/8/2016 at 7:53 PM, Marla said:

This is very exciting to find!  Thank you for creating this app!

However, when I downloaded everything, it doesn't seem to show running TC.  Am I missing something?  It opened in my iTunes music folder and I see a  TC stamp but I don't see it running.  I imagined it to be very similar to Wave Agent which Sound Devices has for WAV files. Maybe I am off base or have done something wrong.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Marla

This is not a full featured app like wave agent, and has no preview or playback capabilities.  It is a simple batch convert utility to create files for transcription, and the timecode is stored as a Tc stamp in the id3 tags along with other basic metadata.  Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.