664 acting wierd

Tambongo

Hello fellow soundpeeps!

Today I was on å shoot the 664 I used turned itself off a couple of times in the morning. The menu lagged when I used the Rotary fader to select values in the menu, and sometimes the selector on the screen jumped up a value when i scrolled down. Luckely it dident turn of for the rest of the day, but the menu was still wierd. I tried to remove the media, and chnge the BDS, but it dident seem to help. Does anyone have a clue about what could be wrong?

Sometimes if a cable is not 100% solidly connected to the BDS, it can cause weirdness.

Other than that:

What firmware version? What card(s) were you using - on approved media list? When you "changed BDS", did you change everything, including power cables? What else is connected to the BDS? Did you try powering from AA batteries with the BDS disconnected? Did you try re-setting the 664 to factory settings? Contact Sound Devices, they are good people and will get you sorted.

Your firmware may be corrupted, you might try saving your settings to a card then reloading the firmware (to the latest version 2.12).  You also might try working with no card in the SD slot.  My 664 has an issue with that slot that eventually required a visit to the factory to fix.  If your problems persist call SD, they are very helpful.  Also, if you are using a keyboard, try working without it for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure the internal aa's, even if you're not using internal power, are fresh. We had a recent problem on a job of intermittent shutdowns caused by dead lithiums in the aa compartment. We were on external power for everything in the chain and changing out the aa's did the trick.

Worth a try.

Simon