UK Soundies: what will LEAVE mean for your work?

Philip Perkins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get cheaper US made gear when UK signs a trade agreement with the US. But I can not see any other positive effect.

But that will only happen after the EU has signed the trade agreement, which is very close.

Britain on the other hand will need to start from scratch and get a new agreement. Which will be important for Britain, but next to irrelevant for the US, so negotiations will be somewhat lopsided.

With the pound at a 30-year low, I don't see lower prices for US gear in the UK anytime soon

I'm finding it really hard to see any positives here.  One might be productions coming from abroad as our rates will be cheaper due to the weak pound.

On the other hand a lot of pots of money behind productions are from the EU.  Gear will be more expensive in comparison, it'll be trickier to work in EU countries having to do carnets/visas.

I'm really not looking forward to the implications of this

For those outside the UK, I expect equipment made by companies with 'Audio' in their name and a certain new magic box will be cheaper

Our colleagues from UK; will be the first victims. Always the cultural sector is the first victim in financial problem, we have experienced the same here. Also, it's going a straight competitiveness between UK and EU based colleagues.

But, I am not afraid for them. UK colleagues are the best trained and experienced professionals in EU land. They will find their route, sooner or later; that's for sure.

We are talking about a nation which kicked out the punk music, they started counterattack in two WW, they born the biggest writer in history which killed his protagonist. All of them, including a love for a lady with green screen pant suits, the Queen. I love you fellas!

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of laws and regulations that will have to change or be abandoned, from food labelling to the cleanliness of our beaches. Employment laws will change: current employment rights and protections will most likely go, depending on who we get as a new government. Vast swathes of EU funding for the arts in general and the film industry in particular will go. And a whole load of other stuff that neither side bothered to address in the run-up to the referendum and the Leave contingent are only just beginning to come to terms with. A prime example of this is the county of Cornwall in the south west of the UK, which voted overwhelmingly to leave, and whose chief executive is now demanding that the £60 million that they will no longer receive from the EU in subsidies be replaced by the UK government.

The only person who seems genuinely happy is Trump, who sees the drop in the exchange rate between the US and the UK as an incitement for more people to come to his golf course in Scotland.

And I've got a terribe pain in all the diodes down my left-hand side...

John

Just seen this Guardian article: https://goo.gl/bxIkER

Hard to see an upside from this side of the pond. Big fan of England. Hope it all works out, but my gut says it was a non reversible mistake. I've read a lot about it, but it has been all but a non story on Fox/CNN/MSNBC. Seems like a bigger deal than the lack of coverage suggests.

CrewC

Share prices of big advertising firms and broadcasters have tumbled (20pc for ITV) which will have an effect on those working on commercials and subsequently everything else as spending on original content is cut to ride out the storm.

I'm not convinced UK gear will be cheaper in the US as manufacturers will be paying a lot more for imported materials.

Scary how misinformation, bigotry and lies have swayed the vote. Democracy isn't always what it's cracked up to be. You will feel this in the US for sure, it could mean the collapse of the EU and stock markets are falling around the globe.

I'm kind of worried that smaller boutique type UK makers of audio gear, something the UK has become known for, will have a much tougher time in the new trade environment.  Thinking Prism, AD, AL, and smaller fry.  Also, it always seemed to me that UK soundies lead the way on international doco etc crews, will being out of the EU make it harder for you folks to work overseas?

54 minutes ago, old school said:

Hard to see an upside from this side of the pond. Big fan of England. Hope it all works out, but my gut says it was a non reversible mistake. I've read a lot about it, but it has been all but a non story on Fox/CNN/MSNBC. Seems like a bigger deal than the lack of coverage suggests.

CrewC

Crew, regardless of the official US government position , US financial institutions will benefit greatly.

7 hours ago, Constantin said:

But that will only happen after the EU has signed the trade agreement, which is very close.

Britain on the other hand will need to start from scratch and get a new agreement. Which will be important for Britain, but next to irrelevant for the US, so negotiations will be somewhat lopsided.

With the pound at a 30-year low, I don't see lower prices for US gear in the UK anytime soon

The trade agreement between UK and US can be done very quick. And without a Value Added Tax "unless the pound plunges even further" it will be cheaper to buy US goods.

I don't know if I should cry or laugh when old people start loosing a part of their pensions when austerity measures kicks in. But I can not feel bad about the stupidity of old people who were so easily scared with immigration. UK is not even in Schengen...

Scotland will definitely now leave UK which will even further put UK under.

I feel sorry for all young people who have to suffer because of the stupidity of the old.

2 hours ago, old school said:

I don't know Rado. Wall Street which is US business got hammered today. Time will tell.

CrewC

In the short term Yes but in the long term the raising value of the dollar will help Hedge funds and investment banks get even richer. It would suck for American goods which will become even more expansive to sale around the world but wallstreet will sure get richer.

I voted before heading over here to LA for a movie. I voted to remain, and am SHOCKED that the majority didn't.

It really boils down to how GWB got elected and reelected. Young people and liberals vote in much smaller percentages than older people and conservatives. I bet you if you polled all eligible voters in the UK, the country would have been overwhelmingly in favor of remaining, until perhaps a month ago. The scare mongering of the remain campaign really put off a lot of undecided voters, and even put off many people who were once remain voters. The English hate to be bullshitted, and the Cameron camp simply started to bullshit the country with unfounded research and predictions that could be neither proven nor disproven or even supported with logic. They should have stuck with "We don't live in 1974. It'll never be 1974 again. We have been part of the EU for many years, and we have benefitted. Although it may be an imperfect system, it is socially responsible, morally responsible, and economically responsible to remain. Things are going quite well and they are improving. Why rock the boat." If they had kept it simple, the racist vote wouldn't have been enough on its own to tip the scales.

I moved to the UK when my dollars were the weakest against the pound than they had been in 20 years. Now my wife and son are likely moving back to the US, and my daughter might go to university in San Diego, as my pounds have become the weakest against the dollar than they have been in 30 years. But on a positive note, I just got a big raise with the money I'm making on this movie suddenly being worth more back home.

The trade agreement between UK and US can be done very quick. And without a Value Added Tax "unless the pound plunges even further" it will be cheaper to buy US goods.

No trade agreements have ever been done quickly. It'll take years. And it'll be difficult for the UK to negotiate terms which will be beneficial to them. The US is coming from a much stronger position. They will first negotiate a treaty with the market of 460 million (without UK) and then, somewhere down down the (very long) line, they will negotiate a treaty with the market of 64 million - that is if Scotland won't leave the UK, otherwise it'll only be 58 million.

As for VAT: you have to pay that plus duty when you buy something abroad and bring it into the UK, regardless of EU membership.

With any treaty years away (the actual Brexit won't happen for several years, negotiations for a UK-US treaty can only begin after Brexit), and the UK indepence years away, but the pound being in free fall right now, and the dollar on the rise now, I would not bet on cheaper gear prices anytime soon.

I feel sorry for all young people who have to suffer because of the stupidity of the old.

Me too. This is absolutely very sad

I voted before heading over here to LA for a movie. I voted to remain, and am SHOCKED that the majority didn't.

It really boils down to how GWB got elected and reelected. Young people and liberals vote in much smaller percentages than older people and conservatives. I bet you if you polled all eligible voters in the UK, the country would have been overwhelmingly in favor of remaining, until perhaps a month ago. The scare mongering of the remain campaign really put off a lot of undecided voters, and even put off many people who were once remain voters. The English hate to be bullshitted, and the Cameron camp simply started to bullshit the country with unfounded research and predictions that could be neither proven nor disproven or even supported with logic. They should have stuck with "We don't live in 1974. It'll never be 1974 again. We have been part of the EU for many years, and we have benefitted. Although it may be an imperfect system, it is socially responsible, morally responsible, and economically responsible to remain. Things are going quite well and they are improving. Why rock the boat." If they had kept it simple, the racist vote wouldn't have been enough on its own to tip the scales.

I moved to the UK when my dollars were the weakest against the pound than they had been in 20 years. Now my wife and son are likely moving back to the US, and my daughter might go to university in San Diego, as my pounds have become the weakest against the dollar than they have been in 30 years. But on a positive note, I just got a big raise with the money I'm making on this movie suddenly being worth more back home.

This is very true. I hope that somehow, sometime this may work out well for you amd for everyone.

I am sad for Europe today and especially for my UK friends and colleagues and I am annoyed that the rest of the EU didn't get to vote in this, too. This may well cause the eventual break-up of the EU, with unknown consequences, but in any case it will impact tremendously the lives and well-being of all Europeans.

Always loved jumping into a plane with my mixer as carry-on baggage, shooting in London two hours later - enjoying this wonderful city - without any problems, only having my I.D. with me. No carnet, no visas. That's over, but only a minor problem. 

What do you think will happen to the BBC? They've always been the role model for German Public Broadcasters since they had been founded by the allies after WW2. I hope the BBC will survive well. 

25 minutes ago, Constantin said:

With any treaty years away (the actual Brexit won't happen for several years, negotiations for a UK-US treaty can only begin after Brexit),

I would not be surprised if the process is sped up and completed by the end of the year. Euro Zone don't want the UK dragging them down and are already pushing for a quick exit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36626409

This situation is what we Americans call to shoot yourself in the foot.

29 minutes ago, Constantin said:

As for VAT: you have to pay that plus duty when you buy something abroad and bring it into the UK, regardless of EU membership.

As both a European and an American citizen I never understood VAT and am happy that I don't have to deal with it in my current home the USA.

37 minutes ago, Mungo said:

What do you think will happen to the BBC? They've always been the role model for German Public Broadcasters since they had been founded by the allies after WW2. I hope the BBC will survive well. 

My employer ITV lost 20% in stock value. I hope it does not have negative effect on me.

18 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Yes, it was interesting to see the age split in the vote, with younger people much more likely to be for REMAIN.   I think the US presidential election may split in a similar way.

and more interesting info here as well 

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

13524538_10153756313887194_7657598148630904962_n.jpg

11 hours ago, RPSharman said:

Man, that is such a tough position to be in, and unfortunately I do know how it feels, as it actually happened to my family's business when I was a little kid, and the Dominican Peso essentially halved in value compared to the US dollar (my parents' business imported products from the US). They essentially had to close the business and we ended up moving to NYC.

I hope it all works out in the end for you and the rest of our brothers and sisters in the UK and EU.