Jus sold my PCM-D1 - need a replacement.

spaulgal

I just sold my beloved Sony PCM-D1. It sounded brilliant, but it had to go. 

Truth is, I didn't need the sound quality it had-- we can use our full rig for that. 

More practically, I need something with better battery life (which is every other recorder in the universe) and something that can serve as a solid backup solution in case our main rig goes down in the middle of something important. For that reason, I was thinking the zoom h6-- since I could plug and play our MK41's and be recording again within minutes. 

I also like the idea of having a small recorder around to record stuff on the fly. 

What do you guys recommend. I'd rather spend a bit more and get something that can potentially sound a bit closer to the D1. Maybe the D100? The problem is that doesn't have the XLR ins. Does only the zoom have that?

Thanks!

BTW - we do sound for picture.

thanks again :)

FYi, Nagra also makes this type of recorder. 

I just bought s Sony PCM D100 to upgrade from my PCM D50 which will become my spare. The D100 is awesome!  It's built very well, not plastic feel at all, like most others. 

Sounds excellent and now uses SD cards instead of the Duo Pro Sony card like the D50 does. 

I only use it for a specific set up and it's perfect for what I want from it  

If you only need 2 tracks, consider the D100. Doesn't have XLR inputs though. 

I found a great deal on a Tascam Dr-100 mkii and am looking forward to giving it a run. 

I think the XLR's are going to come in handy -- at least for peace of mind. Each time we gear up for a big shoot I always think... what happens if the 744t goes down? At least now we'll have a clunky backup plan. 

If it weren't for that, I'd likely have the D100

Peter, does the D100 actually sound better than the D1? 

On 30 June 2016 at 9:33 AM, DX Dave said:

Pete what do you use it for?

I use it for a particular reality show mounted on the interior of a windscreen of a car with a suction mount and suspension for picking up dialogue of the driver and front passenger. It works perfectly. I am not there to set it up so it's very quick and easy for the other guys to set up.

19 hours ago, spaulgal said:

I found a great deal on a Tascam Dr-100 mkii and am looking forward to giving it a run. 

I think the XLR's are going to come in handy -- at least for peace of mind. Each time we gear up for a big shoot I always think... what happens if the 744t goes down? At least now we'll have a clunky backup plan. 

If it weren't for that, I'd likely have the D100

Peter, does the D100 actually sound better than the D1? 

Not sure, never heard the D1 but I imagine it would be same or very similar. 

• 3 weeks later...