Comtek BST75 Impedance Question.

Michael Wynne

For those of you using the BST75 from your Comteks, how many of you are using "1/4 " TRS input Versus XLR " Reason I ask with proper gain staging sending line level to the unit it always sounds a tad blown out.  Is this as simple as an impedance mismatch ?  I have a XLR to 1/4 inch impedance changer ( low to high ) on the way to me now to see if it makes a difference.  It's subtle but driving me crazy.

8 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Blown out even if you reduce the input level with the gain pot?   I've hit mine with +4 levels low imp signals for years....

Yes, I"m also sending a +4 line level signal out of a 788T,  In order to achieve any kind of somewhat acceptable head room I have to trim back the BST 75 where I only occasionally see the meters light up.

34 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Impedance is determined by the input circuitry, not the type of connector used.  Seldom is feeding a low impedance output into a high impedance input the cause of overloading the input -- high impedance output into a low impedance input can overload the output.

good to know John, I think my impedance question was a shot in the dark to try to solve another issue that I haven't yet discovered.  I did indeed try a Low Z to High Z converter yesterday and it simply boosted the level into the Base station.