Small condenser mic case

Ed Denton

Does anyone know of a small mic case that could fit a small diaphragm condenser mic with a windscreen (such as Schoeps W5D) attached. I have a Pelican case that I keep a number of mics in but I would like to find a small alternative for carrying single mics when travelling light. I have a number of SDC mics like Octava and Audix model that I'd like to be able to bring individually with out dragging along a whole Pelican of mics. Something around the 5"x4" internal dimensions mark. Everything I can find is either too big, not protective or crushes the windscreen. Any suggestions would be most helpful!

I use small lengths of PVC pipe with foam rings/sleeves on each end acquired from I can't remember where... works well enough, and in general I like the Cigar Caddy idea.

But if you want to store your mics with the windscreen on, I don't know where you should turn. I'd think if you want to store a mic with a W5D-sized screen, a case with pick-and-pluck foam would be the best route. I keep my windscreens in a little clear plastic box similar to the clear Pelican (and old-school Otterbox) cases. Protects those expensive and fragile Schoeps screens...but then I use the smaller B5D & B5 teardrop screens, not the comparatively larger W5D ball screens so I only need a small second/screen case.

When you find what works for you, please post pix!

That PVC tubes I have are fairly crush proof... I haven't tested it it, but it holds up pretty well. And the aluminum tubes that Rode includes with their NTG-3 mics look pretty sturdy (when reviewing the mic...which is decent...the tube was my favorite part):

rode_tube.png

For me, the reason to keep some mics in sturdy tubes is because sometimes I end up spending the day with a sound bag and a fanny pack... and if I want/need more than one mic, the one not used first off (which is usually a Schoeps) is going in the fanny pack. And it lets me be a bit more casual about packing the case at the end of a long day...