Akg ck91 Blueline Stripdown

GlennP

Stripdown of an AKG CK91 Blueline cardiod capsule. I bought tge CK91 and SE300b off ebay for a good price but in receiving it the output was very low and with little or no HF in the signal. It was also very susceptible to pops and breaths. The capsule seemed to charge up giving reasonable output but then fading away. Not much inside the thing. Thought I d post just for interest. I quite like the blueline series but low output and self noise very apparent. Prefered to the Oktava Mk 012 I also have but even that seems like a 'hot' mic compared with the AKG. 

The membrane part is not taught and has some ripples in the surface. Possible cause of issues. I ve not tested the pcb yet but will do when time allows. 

20160701_182902.jpg

20160701_182731.jpg

You can still buy the capsules and they are well priced. Thomann.de keeps stock but I don't know about a US supplier. I'm sure they would ship internationally.

I have a pair with the cardioid capsules that I use for stereo music recordings and they sound great. They are my favourite acoustic guitar mics too.

You need a new capsule, just the capsule (not all the assembly) part: 2439Z0001. 

My advice, never touch without rubber gloves the brass rod, this might result in a permanent discharge of the electret element.

Sometimes the low output are a problem with the fet board (part 2439M1101)

http://cloud.akg.com/8393/ck91_92_93_service.pdf

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I did touch the brass post with bare fingers but the mic was already bad at that stage. Obviously I ll use latex gloves next time.  I ll try AKG UK to see if they have the element in stock somewhere. 

I have the CK93 and CK91 capsules on another mic and wanted a cardioid stereo pair. Got a refund for the capsule from the seller. So I have 2x SE300b pre amps and the ck93 and ck91. 

I actually was after a ck94 figure 8 for MS recording with my 416 although I feel I may well be disappointed by the noise/output of the AKG in combination with the Sennheiser.