Waist-belt bag rigs: current state of the art?

Philip Perkins

2 hours ago, hobbiesodd said:

I buy it online. A simple Google search reveals countless options. I don't know the exact brand I've been using but it's likely the healthiest option with most potentcy. 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros  

Here's a joke: it turns out that I've been taking Chondroitin as part of my glucosamine supplement for nearly a year already (it's important to read those labels closely!).  Maybe I need to up the dose, I can't say I've noticed a big diff in inflammation and pain...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Evan, yes, you are correct. Sorta. The conversation here was about putting the weight in back instead of front. For you, that might not matter. It might change the way you stand to the point of making it better, or worse. The weight would still be on your knees.

Please excuse me. I thought the conversation was about waist belts (as the title of the post implies) and, subsequently, the overall effect from years of harness work. Let me clarify:

After years of harness work I moved to my (previously posted above) Kortwich waist bag, which has since been taking a toll on my knees instead of my back. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

11 hours ago, hobbiesodd said:

Please excuse me. I thought the conversation was about waist belts (as the title of the post implies) and, subsequently, the overall effect from years of harness work. Let me clarify:

After years of harness work I moved to my (previously posted above) Kortwich waist bag, which has since been taking a toll on my knees instead of my back. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Evan,  yes, your correct, but I was only stating that because you were talking knees. If you look at all the posts, it is back ,back, back. I am curious how the problem for you changed from back to knees?

When you had a harness, how did you not have back AND knee problems?  I wasn't getting on to you about your post, I don't do that.

Sincerely, Martin

On July 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Here's a joke: it turns out that I've been taking Chondroitin as part of my glucosamine supplement for nearly a year already (it's important to read those labels closely!).  Maybe I need to up the dose, I can't say I've noticed a big diff in inflammation and pain...

Philip,

Read the labels?! Pffffft... That's like asking someone to read the manual, or worse, search the forum for their question!

so you can compare with what you're already taking:

My daily dosage is 1500mg of glucosamine and 1700mg of a proprietary chondroitin blend.

Hopefully this helps...  I completely understand the issues that arise from decades of humping a microwave around on your chest for 12 hours a day. The struggle is real. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Ever since I got the Kortwich bag for the Nomad, I've switched entirely to waist belts.  Have the Stingray Jr with the K-Tek waist belt that works great.  It's so much better for your body to have the weight on your hips as opposed to shoulders, but there's a few things you need to be aware of when using them to get the benefits.

hip_posture-sm.jpg

People tend to be in the "swayback" position with the weight in front, which can wreck your lower back and knees over time.  Typically it's because you aren't paying attention to posture and hang out on your joints instead of using muscle to support yourself.  Abs and glutes are responsible for keeping you balanced, so if it's a pain to maintain a neutral posture, get those stronger.  If you do it right, your hips might feel tired at the end of the day but there shouldn't be any pain.  It's a lot easier to do than having all the weight on your shoulders,  I'd recommend everyone use harnesses/belts that place most of the weight on your hips.

Also, for inflammation and joint pain-  fish oil (omega-3) helps.  You want at least 1g of omega-3 (EPA+DHA) in whatever form you choose.

15 hours ago, max said:

Ever since I got the Kortwich bag for the Nomad, I've switched entirely to waist belts.  Have the Stingray Jr with the K-Tek waist belt that works great.  It's so much better for your body to have the weight on your hips as opposed to shoulders, but there's a few things you need to be aware of when using them to get the benefits.

hip_posture-sm.jpg

People tend to be in the "swayback" position with the weight in front, which can wreck your lower back and knees over time.  Typically it's because you aren't paying attention to posture and hang out on your joints instead of using muscle to support yourself.  Abs and glutes are responsible for keeping you balanced, so if it's a pain to maintain a neutral posture, get those stronger.  If you do it right, your hips might feel tired at the end of the day but there shouldn't be any pain.  It's a lot easier to do than having all the weight on your shoulders,  I'd recommend everyone use harnesses/belts that place most of the weight on your hips.

Also, for inflammation and joint pain-  fish oil (omega-3) helps.  You want at least 1g of omega-3 (EPA+DHA) in whatever form you choose.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. GJ Max. I am the guy in that last picture. My hips are never tired, which is not say that I am not wearing them out. My back has never hurt, although when  I had to boom for 32 minutes one time, I thought I had been tortured the next day. But that was my arms and shoulders. With the bag, I still have the harness, but it is just to keep everything in place. I have people on set all the time ask "aren't you tired, why don't you sit"? But as I've said before, I just cocktail my hip off to the side, and I'm fine. If I had to stand straight, like at attention, my back would be screaming, even with no pack. So, I just don't stand up straight. 

Here is a shot that was taken of me on set.

You can see the following:

A. I am checking to see where boom is going to go, the mic is 816P in a blimp about 13 feet out. 

B. That upon close inspection that the upper harness straps are actually lifting up, because there is no weight on them.

C. The green Army belt is what is holding the 617 bag. I think that is the bag part number anyway. 

D. My hips are cocked off to one side. The one foot is barely touching. I'm not saying this is the best way, but it's what works great for me.

E. That I have no butt. I make no apologizes for this. 

SmartSelectImage_2016-07-18-16-06-13.png