Vintage Micron 101 tx and MR1 rx diagrams, and experiences.

foliver

Hello, today i was offered with two sets of Vintage Micron 101 tx and MR1 rx.

they are well build, i like them

A sony ecm 50 ( a classic ) is included.

Well, i want to try them.

Someone knows what's the name of the connector that feeds 12 v to the rx? A circuit diagram of this connector?

I want to try some lavaliers on it, but i don't have the pin diagram of the lav conector ( lemo 8 pin) someone can help me with that?

Last: how they sound on their epoque? I guess they should be a good sounding system.

Someone has a link to the user manuals? I canot find anything.

Some coments on this systems? Stories?

Shanks for share!

Fabian

image.jpg

More pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Fabian,

These guys should be able to help:

http://www.micronwireless.co.uk/contact-us/

Back in the day these were some of the best RMs available and the 'xmas tree' displays were are quite cool.

You might find spares and accessories here:

https://www.bblist.co.uk/

https://www.bblist.co.uk/search.php?keyword=micron

http://www.bettersound.co.uk/contact-us.html

But given you are in Uruguay it might just be easier to replace the power connectors.

d r

Pretty sure that the power connector is a 5 pin locking Preh DIN connector with 240 degree pin spacing. We used to use these all the time in theatre, before Sennheiser became the norm. You could also take the ECM50 apart and replace the electret capsule for rather less than the cost of buying a new microphone.

Bettersound are still going and are just down the road from me here in London. Let me know if you have communication problems and I'll see what I can do.

All the best,

John

Thanks Daniel, For your info, and soundmanjohn for your nice offer to help, if i need it, i pm you.thanks .

If it's the 5 pin connector i"ll try an old one from uher, i think i have some at home ( ja! Flashback!).

I'm in a feature now, so i've not too much time to play with, but the next day off, i'll put my hands on them

i find the smell good too, it's crazy...

Daniel, lots of micron on bblist.

thanks

I have only some anecdotal experience with Microns of that era but I'll share as I am able.

In the early 1980's, before I owned any radio mikes of my own, I would rent Microns as I had need. (We used radios very much less in those days.) In my experience, they had much better performance than the Vega and Swintek systems that were in common use at the time. The Microns were conspicuously well constructed and always worked for me; I never had any problems of range or compromised signals. Of course, the radio landscape was much simpler in those days.

Bruce Bisenz told me that he favored Microns for his work because they were the only system available to him that did not employ a commanding circuit to achieve good dynamic range. Consequently, they were free of companding artifacts present in the other radio systems of the time. He used them extensively on "10," the 1979 Blake Edwards movie. That picture was done almost completely with radio mikes (unusual for the time).

Good memories and I think the Microns ought to continue to function well and provide good performance. But, this experience is from thirty years ago (more!) and I don't know how that performance would compare to more modern systems.

David

On July 17, 2016 at 8:03 AM, David Waelder said:

I have only some anecdotal experience with Microns of that era but I'll share as I am able.

In the early 1980's, before I owned any radio mikes of my own, I would rent Microns as I had need. (We used radios very much less in those days.) In my experience, they had much better performance than the Vega and Swintek systems that were in common use at the time. The Microns were conspicuously well constructed and always worked for me; I never had any problems of range or compromised signals. Of course, the radio landscape was much simpler in those days.

Bruce Bisenz told me that he favored Microns for his work because they were the only system available to him that did not employ a commanding circuit to achieve good dynamic range. Consequently, they were free of companding artifacts present in the other radio systems of the time. He used them extensively on "10," the 1979 Blake Edwards movie. That picture was done almost completely with radio mikes (unusual for the time).

Good memories and I think the Microns ought to continue to function well and provide good performance. But, this experience is from thirty years ago (more!) and I don't know how that performance would compare to more modern systems.

David

Hi David, funny that you mentioned Bruce, I was going to suggest that Bruce could tell you more than you ever needed to know about Microns.  He is a good friend and was an invaluable mentor.

• 5 years later...

I have a number of parts as well as 6 transmitters and two receivers. Tried the micron address in the informative response above by daniel. Have yet to find manual and not sure the degree of my need for the units and parts if anyone is interested.