Rails for building cart?

Leonardo Re

I'm planning my first cart build, and was looking at the Gallery of Sound Carts to get some inspiration.
Now - I am wondering what those rails are that most of you are using to build your custom carts? Can't seem to find anything on the internet or in the shops...

I mean the rails that you can see on those carts:
http://jwsound.smugmug.com/Gallerysoundcarts/i-bxhngc4
http://jwsound.smugmug.com/Gallerysoundcarts/i-6mLgLJV

Any hints? Or any suggestions for similarly useful rails systems?

Check out 8020.net, that's what was used to build those carts. 8020 is made in the US but there's a German (I think) company that makes basically the same thing which would probably be more cost-effective shipping wise. Can't remember the name though so hopefully someone else can chime in. 

Specifically for raw rack rails there are a number of source online. I have always used aluminum rails (lightweight) that are harder to find than the standard steel ones (available from Midatlantic and other companies).

A few links:

http://www.starcase.com/Steel_and_aluminum_rack_rail_s/388.htm

http://lmbheeger.com/RackRailAdapters.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Leonardo ITEM.de offer a design and build service here in Europe. They were very helpful when I was building my new cart range.

It it is highly flexible but you'll need to get your head around CAD drawing to make best use of it.

If you are in a rush we usually have them in stock for next day European delivery. Meanwhile checkout www.facebook.com/soundcart for some further ideas!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 7 August 2016 at 1:08 AM, Leonardo Re said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help! Matt, I assume you mean item24.de - I've had a closer look already, the system seems great, offering tons of possibilities.

Guess I'll need to get on with the design process now :-)

Yes Item24.de :) they have loads of useful documentation that is definitely worth reading as it tells you about where the forces are going and best position of the profiles for maximum strength. 

As I said before if you can design it using a CAD package such as AutoCAD you'll save hours (and money) and avoid costly mistakes. 

Happy cart building!

• 6 months later...
Leonardo ITEM.de offer a design and build service here in Europe. They were very helpful when I was building my new cart range.
It it is highly flexible but you'll need to get your head around CAD drawing to make best use of it.
If you are in a rush we usually have them in stock for next day European delivery. Meanwhile checkout www.facebook.com/soundcart for some further ideas!
image.thumb.jpeg.ee0e38e6feedbe2312b046eb381b9a57.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.db55bd655c83b995137486a9a0161269.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.5e498f567d618f42ffc998e6d69a6932.jpeg

Hi Matt, I really love the pull out shelves you have here. Are they a standard part from item? They aren't listed for sale in the item store in Australi (where I am) do they have a locking mechanism?

Thanks

Treb

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Trevor.

Not sure what Matt has used but you can use cabinet drawer runners and top or under-sling them. They are a bit heavy though, about 250 Grams a set if I remember correctly. Linked an example from Bunnings. https://www.bunnings.com.au/kingslide-400mm-soft-close-drawer-slide_p4020346

I've used a miniature version, that I sourced from a kitchen and wardrobe place, to under-sling a keyboard shelf on to my Rastorder folder cart.

Hope the west is treating you well brother.

Cheers Nate.

Nate's right about the shelves in the top pictures - drawer runners with a perspex / polycarbonate sheet as the shelf.If you're talking about the bottom picture, the shelves in the black plastic rack, they are just 1 Rack-Unit Drawers mounted upside-down. In Australia, Elgee make them and Penn Fabrication and various others import them, quite easy to find.

17 hours ago, Nate C said:

Hi Trevor.

Not sure what Matt has used but you can use cabinet drawer runners and top or under-sling them. They are a bit heavy though, about 250 Grams a set if I remember correctly. Linked an example from Bunnings. https://www.bunnings.com.au/kingslide-400mm-soft-close-drawer-slide_p4020346

I've used a miniature version, that I sourced from a kitchen and wardrobe place, to under-sling a keyboard shelf on to my Rastorder folder cart.

Hope the west is treating you well brother.

Cheers Nate.

Yes quality drawer runners were our choice and work very well.  

On 25/02/2017 at 9:19 AM, thope said:

Hi Matt, I really love the pull out shelves you have here. Are they a standard part from item? They aren't listed for sale in the item store in Australi (where I am) do they have a locking mechanism?

Thanks

Treb

Hi Treb,

The shelves on the MiniCart (Green) are custom powder coated as are the shelf brackets. They don't lock but do click into position to prevent them from sliding unintentionally. The Production Sound Cart (Blue) uses standard 19" drawers which can lock with a key. My manufacturer of choice is Penn Elcom who make aluminium drawers. 

Matt

Thanks for all the info guys! I looked at drawer runners, but couldn't find ones that I could lock open and closed different positions. I thought yours might have been designed especially to work with the aluminium profile.

8 hours ago, thope said:

Thanks for all the info guys! I looked at drawer runners, but couldn't find ones that I could lock open and closed different positions. I thought yours might have been designed especially to work with the aluminium profile.

I did consider designing a bespoke part to do just that but it was substantially more and I've strived to keep the prices of our carts as low as possible. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! I have a Magliner vertical that I would like to mod with a aluminum extrusion frame. I have no experience with building with these extrusions (8020 or similar). I've seen a lot of these V-slots here in Europe, but they might be too weak? They are 20 x 20 mm, 20 x 40 mm or 40x 40 mm but with with a big hole in middle. I haven't learned how to CAD but I'm pretty good at Powerpoint... :)  So how thick would the profiles need to be? 

My plan is to drive bolts through both the aluminum frame and the mag liner frame.

Kind regards

John

Magliner-v-slot.pdf

v-slot.jpg

21 hours ago, John Ronnerblad said:

Hi! I have a Magliner vertical that I would like to mod with a aluminum extrusion frame. I have no experience with building with these extrusions (8020 or similar). I've seen a lot of these V-slots here in Europe, but they might be too weak? They are 20 x 20 mm, 20 x 40 mm or 40x 40 mm but with with a big hole in middle. I haven't learned how to CAD but I'm pretty good at Powerpoint... :)  So how thick would the profiles need to be? 

My plan is to drive bolts through both the aluminum frame and the mag liner frame.

Kind regards

John

Magliner-v-slot.pdf

v-slot.jpg

I use 40x40 in all my range of carts as it allows an 8mm bolt to be used. Think of the weight of the kit you'll be using. 

Most manufacturers include details of the forces that their products can accept.