Rules Don't Apply

Jeff Wexler

It was a unique experience, to say the least, Warren is an amazing person with an ego the size of a small country --- I've known Warren for over 40 years but had never worked with him. Almost did 4 other movies with him but it never happened until this one. He does lots and lots of takes, but knows what he wants and when he's got it (problem is, of course, sometimes we never got it). Very demanding of the actors but in an unpredictable and somewhat arbitrary way. Several times a day this is the sort of thing that would happen: fairly simple scene, Frank (played by Alden Ehrenreich) enters the room, sits down and gets ready to make a phone call. We rehearse several times then Warren calls "action" and Alden gets three steps through the doorway and Warren yells "cut!". "Alden, what are you doing, why did you look around the room as you entered, what are you looking for?" Okay, we go again, and again, and again. Finally, we get a take where he gets all the way into the room and sits down. 1st AD says, "Okay, that's lunch, first shot after lunch is Frank entering the room". You get the idea. But all in all, I think we made a really good movie, and Warren is certainly not the most difficult director I've worked with (and I will add that he was always really good to us, the sound department, I think because of my long history history with Warren, Hal Ashby and my father.

I think this trailer sounds great, Jeff. It has the kind of natural dialog perspective I strive for. I will say that some of the earlier links of this trailer you posted sounded more compressed, which was obviously due to how the link was made -- something to keep in mind when we listen to files on the internet.

2 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

I think this trailer sounds great, Jeff. It has the kind of natural dialog perspective I strive for. I will say that some of the earlier links of this trailer you posted sounded more compressed, which was obviously due to how the link was made -- something to keep in mind when we listen to files on the internet.

You're absolutely right, Glen, the first site I watched the trailer from I was not happy with the sound (surprise), fairly sure it was the site and the compression/processing used to embed the clip. So, went looking for a better version and found it. Still, as you point out, we need to be wary of making any judgements based on listening to stuff on the Internet.

Hello Jeff,

Congratulations! I will go to the cinema when will be released.

I am fairly sure there is different exports for media (television & internet). I think, for that reason, judgments about quality must be done after watching and hearing the movie in cinemas; where the film belong.

:-)

On July 17, 2016 at 0:19 PM, Jeff Wexler said:

The first trailer for the movie I did with Warren Beatty has been released. The movie comes out in November

Hi Jeff, I worked behind the scenes on Bugsy and Bullworth.  As soon as the cameras rolled, he became a low talker.  Was that your experience, too?  Cheers and thanks again for you website.  Traut