OTish: Reaper video tutorials focused on sound design

Jim Feeley

These look interesting. And the first displays a good attitude and approach (as you might expect from the guy making the tutorials). Largely about using Reaper along with Pro Tools. Anyone here watched some of these? Any thoughts?

I learned about these here:

-----

http://designingsound.org/2016/07/reaper-tutorial-series-an-interview-with-david-farmer/

Reaper Tutorial Series – An Interview with David Farmer

[snip]

DF: There were lots of great tutorials already online for Reaper, and they were incredibly helpful.  However I couldn’t find any that directly helped a Pro Tools user trying Reaper for the first time.  The information I needed was spread out across lots of tutorials, and often only a tiny snippet embedded in a long video.  Quite a few times I wanted to go back and review what I’d seen, but couldn’t find the piece I wanted to review.  It was like trying to find a passage in a book with no table of contents.

-----

Farmer's tutorials can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0MFqVmVFlN07ISBOlBX7Q

And here's the first one, an 11-minute intro:

Thoughts about these tutorials, other Reaper tutorials (written or video), or Reaper in general?

If there had been Reaper when I was starting out I'd be using it all the time today.  That said, it's not ultra post-friendly without a lot of tweaks, at least for me so far.  But I was able to pick it up literally on the fly while working for Lines Ballet, recording, editing mixing onsite while running thru forums for help--there is SO much help online for this app that if you have internet access you can figure out almost anything really fast. There are some "skins" that make Reaper more PT like--check them out via the Reaper forum but be warned that there are a huge number to look at and that many of them are for older versions of the app.  SWS Extensions add a whole lot more mojo to the app.  The Vordio guys have supposedly come up with various post-centric extensions too, like for conform etc..  The manual is pretty good but it usually seems faster (since I'm usually trying to solve a problem in a "live fire" situation) to just web search your question.

Ya Phil, the Reaper community is pretty helpful. And the app's reasonably priced. Would be cool if the developers got excited about audio post, but I guess compared to MI that's a pretty small slice of the DAW world.

And it's cool, to me at least, to see small companies like Cockos (developers of Reaper), Serif (Affinity graphics & design apps), Literature & Latte (Scrivener) seeming to make a solid go of it...good tools at good prices resulting in what appear to be profitable businesses.