Boom to match my Dpa 4071 lavs

markfarrowaudiopost

My 50 and 4071s sound nice together. I also use 4011 for tight spaces. The 4017 is a great mic on the pole, but I found the 8060 to match my 50 better. The 8060 might be a bit more "present" in the vocal range, but I think that's ok. The 4071 is flatter, if that's what you want. They will all be good.

I'm using Sennheiser 8060 with DPA Lavs (4063 and 4060, some times with the hi-boost cap), as far sounds good for me, before I bought this 8060, I have tried the DPA4017C, it sounds great, but as I am running a MS with Ambient Emesser, 8060 works better,.

Where do you mount your 4071? under clothes? As I understand, the hi-boost is to compensate the lost of high frequency in some situation like mounted under winter clothes, but you do not really need such a hi-boost for your boom pole in my opinion. But "Sounds good" is very subjective, so, better try out before buy anything.

50 minutes ago, Tong0615 said:

As I understand, the hi-boost is to compensate the lost of high frequency in some situation like mounted under winter clothes, but you do not really need such a hi-boost for your boom pole in my opinion.

What about furry windjammers ?

Currently using the 4017C and 4018C along my 4060, 4061 and 4071 lavs. My next purchase will be a 4017B.

Sometimes I do miss having the same high boost feature from the lavs in my booms as well.  

7 minutes ago, JP Fonseca said:

What about furry windjammers ?

That could absorb some high frequency, but this is much too overthought. If you want to take everything in count, you also need to think about where your boom is positioned and where the Lav is positioned, our body (chest, belly) has more resonance in the low frequencies, head has also resonances, but more in the mid-high range, and all the consonance come from mouth. so, with different position of boom and lav, you also have difference kind of frequency response... and the weather, temperature and dampness also affect the frequency response of our voice and the microphone.. What I want to say is, don't make it too much complicated, just keep it simple and everything will be fine.. In the end, wether DPA or Sennheiser or Neumann, Schoeps, we just try to satisfy ourself with the little perfection, all of them sounds great and works good with any kinds of lavs.

I know lots of re-recording mixing engineer, who don't even mix the Boom and Lav together, they just pick the better sounding one (mostly the Boom), and work with it.. 

That could absorb some high frequency, but this is much too overthought. If you want to take everything in count, you also need to think about where your boom is positioned and where the Lav is positioned, our body (chest, belly) has more resonance in the low frequencies, head has also resonances, but more in the mid-high range, and all the consonance come from mouth. so, with different position of boom and lav, you also have difference kind of frequency response... and the weather, temperature and dampness also affect the frequency response of our voice and the microphone.. What I want to say is, don't make it too much complicated, just keep it simple and everything will be fine.. In the end, wether DPA or Sennheiser or Neumann, Schoeps, we just try to satisfy ourself with the little perfection, all of them sounds great and works good with any kinds of lavs.

I know lots of re-recording mixing engineer, who don't even mix the Boom and Lav together, they just pick the better sounding one (mostly the Boom), and work with it.. 

Thankfully, that's why DPA didn't overthink it and simply provided a lav with a presence boost for those situations where you might need it. They let you decide when that might be.

Personally, that why I prefer the 406x. I can add a high boost (though not a presence peak) by changing the grid, so I can easily change it back and forth depending on the situation