NPR's take on roomtone

Jay Rose

Interesting web app: custom assembles a :30 loop of tone, gathered from close to 50,000 NPR programs, and layered/mixed in surround.

http://silent-sky.com. You'll need to access it from a handheld device, or if you're using a desktop browser, reset the user agent that the site sees. (I've been doing it from Safari, set to emulate an iPad under IOS 9.3... when I do that, Safari lets me download the sound to my hard drive.)

From the site:

About five percent of radio news is silent, the short breaths and pauses we faintly hear. I’ve taken the last 6 years of NPR hourly news broadcasts and collected every such moment of silence, whisper & human breath — a total of nearly a million tiny clips.

Silent Sky generates a unique compilation based on these silences for every visitor. Each compilation is released only once, its selection of silences is played only for that visitor. Each compilation is 30 seconds long and contains 350 silences on average, layered in 6 tracks of surround sound.

Make a tape recording of the sound of the stars moving. Do not listen to the tape. Cut it and give it out to the people on the street. — Yoko Ono

Silent Sky is a project by Gregor Hochmuth...