Cables

OyinSound

I guess you could start by looking at the rental "packages" offered by rental houses like Trew and see what cables they include.  But in fact most soundies end up with a huge array of cables, many of them very oddball and home  made that suit the exact config of the gear they use.  So you don't really start with a list of cables, you start with tallying up what you need to connenct to what, right?

1 minute ago, Rick Reineke said:

And don't forget, you must occasionally drain the old audio out for optimal performance.. Hang the cable so the male end is towards the ground.

No, that's wrong. Many scientific tests show that hanging the cables with the female end down provides faster draining.

XLRM - XLRF (M= Male - F= Female). You will need at least a 50m cable, when you don't have a wireless boom. This is for scripted work (feature or television drama). Also, smaller lengths. Cable type: StarQuad, believe me, you need this type of cable.

Rest cables depends of your wireless choice and if you have timecode system. Also if you have to send audio to camera via cables.

The most important: Adapters. Some times will save your ass if you have adapters with you.

Remote Audio, Cable Techniques is a good start to explore.

I appreciate your replies. I'm a baby sound mixer...  Started about two years ago,  but about last week,  I got an equivalent of about $100 and i don't want to use it all on myself so I decided to make few cables from the money... At least its going to be mine...  There is a guy i know who makes good cables here in my country. So i went to him yesterday and made some Y cables,  male to female,  stereo to stereo Y cable,  XLR to Stereo Y cable and a 15 yard XLR for my boom. I also made  short big stereo to small stereo play out cable...  I will still appreciate more help about what which more to make...