Rode NTG2 horrible hiss?

BoroParmo

Hi all,

First time commenting here so I hope I'm in the right place.

I was recently purchased another NTG2 and after trying it out I've realised it has a horrible hiss when recording, Im recording into a tascam DR60d and using the same cables so It must be the microphone that has a problem, does anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance 

Have you tested your cable or tried a couple of different ones? Is the output level equivalent to a similar mic or is it very low? If pin 2 or 3 is shorted to pin 1 you will lose 55dB, the extra gain you add to compensate will result in a lot of noise.

Unfortunately it could be that the mic is just dead on arrival. Can you return it?

As I've read in the DVi and DVx audio groups, this is a common complaint of users with that mic. Aside from the mic and the Tascam's preamps, some of the noise could also be coming from the recorder's headphone amp. (also typical of budget gear)
The frequently recommended Sound Devices MixPre (front-end preamps) have lots of quiet gain and a quiet powerful HP amp. The great limiters are a bonus. An NTG-3 or other 'professional' mic should be considered as well.

Yeah, thankfully RØDE has that 10 year warranty that's pretty solid. Mine ended up being a loose connection (which I probably could have fixed myself, but I trust professionals more than myself). They were very easy to deal with, but I believe it took about a week and a half to get it back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk