German rates?

callou

Hi ,

I think there is a few German mixers around here. I have to negotiate my rate with a German production company, ( I'm from France) and I don't have a clue of what the usual rate is in germany for a mixer for doco type of shoot. Do you guys in Germany usually have a work contract and salary like us in France or make invoices like our friends from the US?

And do you know how much taxes the production company has to pay with the salary? ( in France salary and taxes are pretty much the same..)

Thanks ..

Lucas

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Try this for a start:
http://www.bvft.de/wordpress/?page_id=6777 (it's only in german, I think). In each row the two lefthand rates are for boom op and utility, on the right mixer on payroll and as comtractor. Boom ops and utilities can only work on payroll in Germany.
If this is for a job at home, I'd ask for your standard rate.

Both work as a contractor and as an employee is common here. Don't know about the taxes, but it's factored in to the numbers quoted in that link above.

Thanks a lot Constantin, exactly what I needed ! About the taxes I m not really sure I understand what you are saying in your post..sorry ..

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Oh, just because you were asking if anyone knew how much the company had to pay and I just said that I didn't know.
You will note from my link that if you work as a independent contractor the rate is a bit higher. That's to account for all the costs the employer saves for hiring a contractor. So the contractor should get most of those savings.

Then there is VAT to consider (which goes on top of the quoted rates), which depends on your own situation, but you are probably familiar with that.

Yeah, I am assuming that is the case if one is invoicing already.

And you're possibly right in this case, but for regular invoicing you don't need a VAT ID, as long as it stays within one country. It's only needed for cross-EU invoicing.
Although it's very simple to get the ID, so one might as well do it.
Anyway, like I said, I'm sure the OP knows all this already

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 9:50 AM, Constantin said:

Try this for a start:
http://www.bvft.de/wordpress/?page_id=6777 (it's only in german, I think). In each row the two lefthand rates are for boom op and utility, on the right mixer on payroll and as comtractor. Boom ops and utilities can only work on payroll in Germany.
If this is for a job at home, I'd ask for your standard rate.

Both work as a contractor and as an employee is common here. Don't know about the taxes, but it's factored in to the numbers quoted in that link above.

On this page, what does it mean (google translate) in the table when it reads "mixer hired" or "mixer simple" - the rates are very different.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30. Juli 2016 at 2:09 PM, Constantin said:

D
And you're possibly right in this case, but for regular invoicing you don't need a VAT ID, as long as it stays within one country. It's only needed for cross-EU invoicing.
Although it's very simple to get the ID, so one might as well do it.
Anyway, like I said, I'm sure the OP knows all this already

A reason for using your VAT ID on domestic invoices instead of your Steuernummer is that supposedky anyone can call up your Finanzamt and get info about you with your Steuernummer. That's not possible with a VAT ID.

To the OP: Charge the same rate you would to a domestic company. If the production wanted the same rate and circumstances as in Germany they could bring their own guy.

Thanks. 

They are claiming I'm too expensive, so I'm just trying to assign a number to what "too expensive" means. 

This would be a difficult show for any mixer to take over mid-stream, and the sound recorded in Germany would need to stitch into everything recorded in LA. They might not care, and I'm sure there are many skilled narrative mixers in Berlin up to the task, but it seems risky on the part of production just to save a few dollars. 

A reason for using your VAT ID on domestic invoices instead of your Steuernummer is that supposedky anyone can call up your Finanzamt and get info about you with your Steuernummer. That's not possible with a VAT ID.

Which info? You have to state your (company's) name and address anyway, as well as the name of a rep. Can they find out any financial info? That'd be weird...