Rode Blimp & CMC4MK41?

josephboyle

Hello everyone,

I'm a low-budget filmmaker in Orlando and I understand the importance of good sound, so I try to keep a decent kit on hand.

For the last 8 years or so, I have been using the 1st version of the Rode blimp and it has served me well. I started out with a ME66/K6 and have moved up to an MKH416. I recently acquired a CMC4MK41 and so I am wondering if I can use the Rode blimp for this as well? I realize that the blimp is way oversized for this setup, so I'm wondering if that extra space in there will affect the sound at all?

Also, has anyone compared the 1st Rode blimp with the updated version that has the Rycote lyre suspension and Connbox? Is it a significant improvement?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, josephboyle said:

Hello everyone,

I'm a low-budget filmmaker in Orlando and I understand the importance of good sound, so I try to keep a decent kit on hand.

For the last 8 years or so, I have been using the 1st version of the Rode blimp and it has served me well. I started out with a ME66/K6 and have moved up to an MKH416. I recently acquired a CMC4MK41 and so I am wondering if I can use the Rode blimp for this as well? I realize that the blimp is way oversized for this setup, so I'm wondering if that extra space in there will affect the sound at all?

It wont as such effect the sound in a bad way - the more space the capsule has inside a blimp the more effective the wind protection but...

unless the mic is positioned towards the front of the blimp you will effectively be further away from the sound source than you might (or want to) be. IIRC the rode blimp is also heavier than the rycote equivalent.

Also, has anyone compared the 1st Rode blimp with the updated version that has the Rycote lyre suspension and Connbox? Is it a significant improvement?

Thanks!

The lyres are excellent - I am happy with the S series/supershield and I believe this system to best value in terms versatility as different sized 'pods' can be used with the same suspension to accommodate different sized mics without having to be buy a different suspension module. For Brits the rycote systems have the advantage of a good supply chain to mitigate against unplanned replacement of parts.

Daniel,

Thanks for the information. That's really helpful. Which model do you have in particular? Is it this one - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044548-REG/rycote_010321_super_shield_kit_medium.html? I also found this one, which seems to be the same thing, except you can disconnect the pistol grip, and it only comes with the large front pod - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246580-REG/rycote_010323_super_blimp_ntg_for_rode.html. It seems like you should be able to use the other pod sizes for this as well?

The reason I was wondering about the updated version of the Rode blimp is that it has the Rycote suspension system built in, and it looks like it even has a Connbox (though it doesn't look like it's Rycote). This is available for about $195 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/252479468094?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT), so I'm wondering if the 2x more expensive Rycote is worth that price difference. Thoughts?

Rycote Supershield starts at c. £200 in the uk (264 usd at todays rate). I have 2 small pods and 1 large 1 which allows me to use my MKH50 (2 x small rear pods) or my MKH416 / CS3e (1 small, 1 large). I made a modification to my original 'S' series suspension, effectively making it the same as the Supershield. I don't use a pistol grip or conn boxes but I do use an XLR holder. Rode blimp seemed heavy to me when I looked at it and for me Rycote is better for spares etc. Of the links you posted the Rycote 'Super-Blimp' is closest to what I have. Except I had to source a low profile XLR connector myself and my Rycote is all grey (no black and red flashiness for me :-).

* please note Rycote do not make a windjammer for my MKH50 set-up but this is easily resolved.

On 7/30/2016 at 2:42 PM, josephboyle said:

Yes, just about everything affects sound -- anything that alters air flow impacts sound waves, but if the result is of consequence in any given situation is a judgement call based on many circumstances including how you use the tools at hand.  Which brings us to the fact that one of the primary tools of a professional sound mixer is knowing how to listen and what to listen for. 

So, try this rig and listen and compare.  

On 7/31/2016 at 8:32 AM, daniel said:

IIRC the rode blimp is also heavier than the rycote equivalent.

Rode Blimp v1 is heavy, v2 (the latest, the one anybody would buy now) is not.

The reason I was wondering about the updated version of the Rode blimp is that it has the Rycote suspension system built in, and it looks like it even has a Connbox (though it doesn't look like it's Rycote). This is available for about $195 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/252479468094?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT), so I'm wondering if the 2x more expensive Rycote is worth that price difference. Thoughts?

Go for it! Is what I have myself.

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

Yes, just about everything affects sound -- anything that alters air flow impacts sound waves, but if the result is of consequence in any given situation is a judgement call based on many circumstances including how you use the tools at hand.  Which brings us to the fact that one of the primary tools of a professional sound mixer is knowing how to listen and what to listen for. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I realize that a blimp will affect the sound. I was more specifically wondering if this size of a setup would adversely affect the sound, as opposed to using a more traditional setup like a baby ball gag. I do have a ways to go in learning what to listen for, and will continue to do so. Hoping to get my hands on one of the v.2's to compare them.

Thanks for all the replies!

That's good advice and I will heed it. At the same time, there may be some universally held understanding about the size of blimps that I am unaware of and that someone with more experience than myself (I understand that it takes years of experience to get years of experience) could offer, which is why I posed the question. In any case, thanks again.