Richard Thomas

Roll your own audio interface (miniDSP USBstreamer)

I've recently come across this small box- miniDSP USBstreamer:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer

Tiny USB board with ADAT/SPDIF connectors, however- interestingly it comes with I2C connectivity, which is standard for chip to chip digital audio.  I've been looking for a DC powered box which will do AES3 in and out with sample rate conversion and with the exception of the Metric Halo LIO-8 (which needs firewire and OSX) there isn't really anything out there.

I'm yet to find something ready made (like an evaluation board) which will do 8 channels of AES3 in and out, but miniDSP do a 2 channel board- I'm wondering if they can all run off the same clock?

8 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

I'm yet to find something ready made (like an evaluation board) which will do 8 channels of AES3 in and out, but miniDSP do a 2 channel board- I'm wondering if they can all run off the same clock?

Ah, it's a no.  Some configuration will be required via I2C, which I don't know...

Hey Richard, if you just need SRC the AJA ADA4 can perform that funcution if you set the DIP switches for D to D mode.  Only does 4 channels but 2 units can be synched from external source or each other.  I bought a couple prertty cheap used.