Request for example BWF files

Tim Gray

I'm working on a mac utility that reads BWf files and presents the data in an organized fashion.  However, not owning a recorder that produces BWF makes testing a bit harder.  Sound devices already provided me with a large collection of files, so I know what to expect from those recorders.  However, it would be great if I could get a couple of files from a Deva, a Cantar, the Tascam recorder, and from Metacorder.  Short files are perfect.  It would also be great if the timecode value for each file is noted so I can double check my math.

I appreciate anyone who can lend a hand.  Just send them to me using the email button.

Thanks a lot!

Tim,

I've sent you a Metacorder file.  I'd love to see a utility that could take non-iXML BWF files and create and add the iXML data to them from the existing BWF metadata.  It would be great if it could do this in batches of an entire folder at a time.

-Darren

I'm definitely interested in implementing iXML into my utility.  The only issue I see with modifying bwf files is that there is always the potential for miswriting to a file and corrupting the original.  As a result, I feel like creating a new modified copy is the way to go.  Unfortunately when files can be > 600 megs, this can take a bit of time. 

Hello Tim,

I've made a set of example files, with included timecode that you can find here:

http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/compatibility.shtml

Not only are the file time-stamped, the audio that is recorded is the actual timecode signal.

These files are from an older version of Boom Recorder.

The new version actually reserves a lot of of space, 128 kByte, so that one could update the header in-place. The reserved space is filled up using the JUNK-chunk.

Would you be interested in adding the qttc-chunk? This chunk is used by my QuickTime BWFImporter.component such that you can use Final Cut Pro to work with the timecode in such a file. I can give you the specification if you are interested.

Good luck,

Take

Take, I've already hit up your site for example files.  An excellent resource.  Helped me write an LTC decoding routine in Python too.  I'm glad I know what the JUNK chunk is for now.

As far as the qttc-chunk thing - I'm interested in seeing the specification, but not at implementing it quite at this point.  I've got to get the basics down first... like learning Obj-c better :)

Also, a quick update on the Metacorder's apparent compatibility with FCP.  I'll have to try it at home tonight, but it looks like Metacorder stashes some sync info in the resource fork of the file.  It's a nifty solution that only works on a mac, which is ok since FCP is only on a mac...

Hello Tim

In the resource fork, hmmm. I guess that could work. I am not going to implement such a thing myself, now that I know Apple is working on a solution as well.

Hello Larry,

I am not planning a windows version, sorry.

Cheers,

Take

With the way Apple has been going with resource forks, I wouldn't recommend it either, but it does appear to be what Metacorder is doing.

RE: writing a recorder.  No, but I don't think I will be doing one for mac either.  Take has done a really nice job with Boom Recorder, and at the high end, Metacorder seems pretty nice.

Even if I did, implementing such a program on Windows would require learning a different variant of C and a completely different set of API's (functions provided by the system).  Basically the same reason Courtney isn't interested in doing BWF Widget for Mac - you'd basically have to start from scratch.