Better Mic on a BoomPole, NTG-1 or STC10

DoronT770

i am a beginner film maker and don't have much money, i always known the NTG mic is very good since it got low self noise and super cardioid pattern but the STC10 is much cheeper and i think it got lower self noise, can someone help me understand them? i need to put them on a stand above the precentor on a lecture and in the future use it for short films.

also i got an other topic that related, the one i use to record talks on extremely low volume and i had many problems amplifying him because of feedbacks, if i really put one of those mics on a pole above is head facing the floor will i have less feedbacks?

i am a beginner film maker and don't have much money, i always known the NTG mic is very good since it got low self noise and super cardioid pattern but the STC10 is much cheeper and i think it got lower self noise, can someone help me understand them? i need to put them on a stand above the precentor on a lecture and in the future use it for short films.

also i got an other topic that related, the one i use to record talks on extremely low volume and i had many problems amplifying him because of feedbacks, if i really put one of those mics on a pole above is head facing the floor will i have less feedbacks?

Well, a mic is not usually better when it's cheaper. In fact, with two completely different mics, price is not really an indicator at all.
Likewise, if you just go by the noise figure you should probably buy a large condenser mic.

How do you create a feedback? Are there loudspeakers involved?

yes, the speaker speaks really softly and we set up speakers so people can hear what he say.

i just tought that if i point the mic from a high point down to his chest and get a narrow patter it will help us amplify him more without feedbacks.

(usaly the places we put him in got really bad acoustics)

I don't think this is the best place to be asking. This is a forum for professional sound mixers so we aren't generally familiar or experienced with equipment at the very-low end of the market.

Is the speaker standing at a lectern? If so a mic on a stand in front as close to their mouth as possible is the way to go. A short shotgun would be OK if they don't move side to side too much.  It's also a good idea to talk to the speaker and tell them to project.

thank you very much' i felt like i am out of my league here, do you know of a better place for me to ask?

and from what i got from you, closer is better but does placing it like you understood on a lectern facing down better then front facing? and what does it mean to project? how one does this?

Actually the ideal, in terms of feedback avoidance, would be to make sure the mic points away from the loudspeakers and, ideally, is situated behind the loudspeakers. I have never ever seen a mic on a lectern from above, so... think about that. Also, a cardioid mic would help, if you can make use of its non-existant rear-lobe

Fwiw, both mics are unsuitable for your application. The ntg1 is a budget mic you can put on a camera and get sort of acceptable audio... The stc10 is an even more budget mic which is built for a studio, and then sontronics (the manufacturer) claim you can put them on a boom pole. I actually bought and tried a Stc1, which is the more expensive version with pad and locut and changeable capsules. The mic sounded okay, but it's BIG! Which mau make it hard to find mounts. And the build quality was just acceptable, it probably wouldn't last long on a pole.

Mics on a pole require a lot more from a mix than just its technical specifications. It needs to be able to handle lots of different temperatures and humidity, be light, be well protected from RF, be very silent and even be small in size. In short: very flexible to meet the various, very various locations of a shoot.

I suggest you buy a used MKH50. That way you're totally covered.