Boom operator Rates

ndg2k005

Wow. I heard about those types of boom ops that make that money. Man. I wonder what it took to get to that status and folks say, cool come on in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

They probably got like 4 different mics minimum or something

4 hours ago, RPSharman said:

It's crazy that boom ops were making $600/10 on commercials 10 years ago, and still are. Used to be way over scale, but scale has caught up. 

More like 5 years ago.  Scale has almost caught up in that it's over $500 by a little....  Sadly a lot of downward pressure on boom ops & their rates these days. I won't work without one on an IATSE  commercial... I'm sure I loose gigs because I won't, but I must say that without a doubt, "I need one,  so does the production. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".

CrewC

16 hours ago, old school said:

More like 5 years ago.  Scale has almost caught up in that it's over $500 by a little....  Sadly a lot of downward pressure on boom ops & their rates these days. I won't work without one on an IATSE  commercial... I'm sure I loose gigs because I won't, but I must say that without a doubt, "I need one,  so does the production. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".

CrewC

+1   all of it....  I am asking $600 for my boom op... it normally is between $550 and $600....  I did have a $675 yesterday in LA... RARE... Our boom ops do not however use my gear, they use theirs... Boom poles, headsets, stands, mic mounting supplies etc. However... my mics and comm. gear.. 

By the way, I am heavily pressuring Production to hire a proper Playback person when required these days... they seem to think the mixer is supposed to do both at the same time... we are NOT!!  That is another Union persons (or any persons) job position and should be for 20 different reasons... This one person doing the job of two deal.. must be put out like a  simmering cigarette butt..  Can you sometimes do both ?  sure... but should you... no I don't think so..  I think we can all help to reverse this "trend"...

13 hours ago, ndg2k005 said:

Wow. I heard about those types of boom ops that make that money. Man. I wonder what it took to get to that status and folks say, cool come on in

They probably got like 4 different mics minimum or something

Your perspective of the industry/job requirements is off. Boom ops do not provide mics at all.  In fact, it is not required of a boom op to provide anything other then a good attitude and skill. Most bring their own tools because they're comfortable with them and it makes their job easier, but unless they are being paid a box rental it is not "required" of them to provide equipment. The equipment is provided by the person renting it the company, usually the mixer.

Also, that sounds like a lot of money but as in all things, it's relative. If you made that money everyday of the year like a person at a normal job would, then it would be a good amount. But, it is rare that you will work that much year round, year after year. Save your pennies because the job that you're on may be your last job. You never know.