Ripley Miller 101-S

Gerard-NYNY

I don't believe I've ever owned this particular model.  Does that mean I have to redo the many hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of cables I've made over the years?

Quite a bit of my wire stripping has been with just a basic pair of diagonal cutters.

And, yes, I'd much prefer a razor blade (or an X-acto knife) and a precision pair of diagonal cutters if I'm wiring up a 00 Lemo connector.

On 8/22/2016 at 9:32 AM, Gerard-NYNY said:

lol shame on you. i guess there's always one in the batch.

Unbelievable... You have triggered me...I'm off to my safe space to collect myself before I report you to the moderator and demand your expulsion.

5 hours ago, Gerard-NYNY said:

after a good night of sleep i will flip flop on my 'shame on you' comment.

if Mirror can strip the casing of a wire off using a razor blade, without breaking any strands inside, then he is an expert.

You are now forgiven.  

Actually, I'm far from an expert. I need to take classes in cable making/soldering - i'm sure I have MANY bad habits in my technique. I've tried those strippers and, for me, they work great on thicker wire but I haven't developed the feel on the thin stuff.  I usually end up cutting some of the strands of copper with the housing or stretch the housing too long and end up cleaning it up with a razor blade. I now use just a razor blade and save myself a step.

ok back to square one.

instead of shame you get high marks for developing and honing primitive wire stripping techniques.

maybe you should get a decent vintage electrician's knife with a sheepsfoot blade and a 10,000 grit water stone for getting it scary sharp. 

i've seen old timers use these knives back in the day and do good work that i could probably never do.

if i was to try, i would choose a Brous Blades Silent Soldier Wharnciffe style blade.

either blade style is good for not poking yourself because there's no pointy tip.

electricians knife.jpg

brous blades silent soldier wharncliffe.jpg