Custom Necklace Mics

Ze Frias

Here's a fun one:

For my current show, we're often dealing with cast members with open shirts or no shirts at all, so for these situations, we wanted a necklace mic solution that we can easily put on them and still be able to record great sound.

Initially we tried the off-the-shelf DPA 4061 Necklace Mic, but after putting some appropriate wind protection to deal with heavy winds we often encounter on this show, the necklace mic was immediately "vetoed" by the powers that be. So we set off to make our own, and after some happenstance, I met Avshalom Rave (Rave for short), owner of PerePaix and a very talented jewelry designer, who helped us make great custom necklace mics. After some consultations and some tryouts, we came up with a solution that everyone loved.

We're using the DPA Slim wrapped in Bubblebee Industries Piece-a-Fur for wind protection, all hidden within the feather design. The mic cable was cleverly disguised into the necklace, and with some beads and other decor, we ended up with the necklace pictured below. These look and sound great, and I can't recommend Rave enough. He was very involved in the whole process, and his attention to detail (making sure that the mic element was always exposed, ensuring that it had enough wind protection to deal with heavy winds, etc) was second to none.

We're two weeks away from finishing the show, and without these necklace mics, the job would be extremely difficult. If you ever need custom necklace mics, don't hesitate to reach out to Rave, and let him know I sent you.

IMG_7198.jpg

Looks awesome! I've often wondered about the logistics of many of these beach- and tropical-themed reality shows with a bunch of shirtless dudes running around...

That said, if the cast member in question is entirely shirtless (as opposed to open-shirted) how do you conceal the cable? You have it just running down there backs to a waist- or thigh-mounted TX, no? Is that ever an issue, or do you only see these folks from the front? 

Thanks for sharing! Love it. 

25 minutes ago, Paul Katzman said:

Looks awesome! I've often wondered about the logistics of many of these beach- and tropical-themed reality shows with a bunch of shirtless dudes running around...

That said, if the cast member in question is entirely shirtless (as opposed to open-shirted) how do you conceal the cable? You have it just running down there backs to a waist- or thigh-mounted TX, no? Is that ever an issue, or do you only see these folks from the front? 

Thanks for sharing! Love it. 

The cable is indeed ran down their backs to the waist. Transmitters are often hidden in pockets if available, or just clipped onto their waist belts if pockets are not available. Cameras typically try to avoid filming cast from their backs, but it would be foolish to think that you can avoid it 100% of the time. Production understands this challenge, and while they'll try to edit around it, I think they won't make a big deal if you occasionally see the wire.

Just now, Jose Frias said:

The cable is indeed ran down their backs to the waist. Transmitters are often hidden in pockets if available, or just clipped onto their waist belts if pockets are not available. Cameras typically try to avoid filming cast from their backs, but it would be foolish to think that you can avoid it 100% of the time. Production understands this challenge, and while they'll try to edit around it, I think they won't make a big deal if you occasionally see the wire.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Jose! Where is Rave located, do they have a website or other way one could go about getting in contact? Will keep this in mind for future gigs!

2 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Jose! Where is Rave located, do they have a website or other way one could go about getting in contact? Will keep this in mind for future gigs!

Rave is based in NYC. Here's his website:
http://www.perepaix.com/

There's a contact page with contact info in there.

3 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

I've always wondered how they lav'd Richard Hatch when he decided to go nude on the first season of survivor.

Well done, problem attacked at the source, solved.  Good for production for being willing to pay the freight re Rave.   There was some discussion, I think in either the CAS Journal or the 695 mag about necklace mics rigged up for "Beyond the Candelabra", for Michael Douglas playing Liberace--they came up with a good method too.

2 hours ago, Smooth Operator said:

Excellent solution. Did you make a number of the same design - or do you have to switch up the look for different characters?

We got 6 of the same feather design, but each with distinct beads and details to make them unique.

The microphones are sewn into the straps of the bags they carry on naked and afraid. They use DPA 4071s and the transmitters are in the bag.  

59 minutes ago, Mack said:

Who made the necklaces for Naked and Afraid?   I've always been curious what mic is in there.

Not that I watch the show that is.   

• 3 weeks later...