Any disadvantage to using regulated power?

Mobilemike

On 8/26/2016 at 2:47 AM, John Blankenship said:

Why?  I'm guessing a screwdriver would make entry obtainable.

I have opened one of these sometime ago - maybe couple of years ago - and fixed an issue with it. I dont think there is really any space in there for a voltmeter. if i can dig up photos (i always take photos of opened up gear!), i will post it here... 

22 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

I have opened one of these sometime ago - maybe couple of years ago - and fixed an issue with it. I dont think there is really any space in there for a voltmeter. if i can dig up photos (i always take photos of opened up gear!), i will post it here... 

You wouldn't need to mount the voltmeter inside would you? Just the wires leading to the voltmeter. Or am I not seeing something here?

Well, you can mount a small VM on the outside on the side. I am sure you can do that. but to mount a VM flush against the surface may not be possible. 

Imho - electronics experts here - please correct me if i am wrong - regulated is ok if the load is not going to draw MORE current that the regulating circuit can handle. Other than that - a small voltage drop maybe which is not so bad as Jeff mentioned early into this thread...

Other caveats have already been mentioned - battery capacity cant be seen on the other side, etc. However there maybe workarounds (i think there ARE!)... 

my 2 cents... 

58 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

Like was mentioned, I was thinking that someone could run a cable out through a small hole and mount a voltage meter somewhere handy. 

Some seem to challenge this concept.  My response was simply a solution for someone who lamented that a voltmeter across the output of a regulated supply would not show battery voltage.  If, indeed, tapping a couple of leads off the primary of the voltage regulator is too daunting a project, then please disregard my comments. 

18 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

Well, you can mount a small VM on the outside on the side. I am sure you can do that. but to mount a VM flush against the surface may not be possible. 

Imho - electronics experts here - please correct me if i am wrong - regulated is ok if the load is not going to draw MORE current that the regulating circuit can handle. Other than that - a small voltage drop maybe which is not so bad as Jeff mentioned early into this thread...

Other caveats have already been mentioned - battery capacity cant be seen on the other side, etc. However there maybe workarounds (i think there ARE!)... 

my 2 cents... 

Well, you have loss when you convert things. If you don't need to regulate, then you don't regulate. In our world, this sounds scary because you are working, all is great and then BAM, you no longer have the voltage you thought you had.