Best Schoeps windscreen for interiors

jonathan chiles

I have read some old threads that cover this but there still seem to be alot of options for Schoeps CMC6/MK41 indoors.

I have a MKH 50 that I use a softie on but I feel like it does colour the sound somewhat, Are the hollow foam balls or teardrops the way to go? Can you get away with them in very light winds?

Are the B5D or W5D worth the money?

Jon Chiles

I did a direct comparison using two (tested as identical sounding without windshields) CCM41's of the foam B5D against the basket B20

With the B20 I found low end coloration/cut clearly noticeable on

voice. I was surprised by this as I imagined the basket design of the B20 would be more

transparent than the foam but it was not.

The foam B5D had very little effect whereas the B20

coloration was clearly noticeable. 

So I use a B5D, which is fine as a windshield except on quite fast boom swings where it can reach its limit.

Hope this helps,

Mick

If I have to swing the boom fast, or I'm in a room with a lot of airflow, I use a Shure double foam windscreen made for the SM81 (also used on 57s: Obama had two of these windscreens at the inauguration). They are relatively cheap and work really well. To my ears they don't change the sound much. Normally I just use the Schoeps foam teardrop. For real wind, I use a Rycote Zep and fur.

Chris

Thanks guys

Yeah I was eyeng the windscreens on the podium ad wondering.

I heard that the SM81 windscreen fitsa bit loose on the Schoeps though.. any comments?

Another idea I had was to try use the B5D indoors and if things got a little breezy/fast boom mvemnets then throw one of those Rycote mini windjammers over the top of it.. would that make sense?

I do doc stuff mostly and I want to get the best possibe sound from the mic indoors but still not get caught with my pants down if I have to run outside suddenly

Jon Chiles

The Shure windscreen fits a Schoeps just fine. If you are worried it will come flying off, a small rubber band wrapped around the mic a couple of times at the base of the windscreen will keep it firmly attached. Just avoid the coarser foam inside.

Another option is the slightly bigger Beyer pop screen, WS 101. These also fit the Oktava MK-012 series mics. I bought a bunch of them to put on the Oktavas I bought to do car crash tests.

Best regards,

Jim

I have read some old threads that cover this but there still seem to be alot of options for Schoeps CMC6/MK41 indoors.

I have a MKH 50 that I use a softie on but I feel like it does colour the sound somewhat, Are the hollow foam balls or teardrops the way to go? Can you get away with them in very light winds?

Are the B5D or W5D worth the money?

Jon Chiles

Just to clarify: The B5 and the B5D are very different. The B5 is a solid foam tear drop screen, and the B5D is a hollow foam tear drop screen that is much more intricate to make because of the internal basket frame and the self-supporting foam.

The Schoeps designation "D" came from the recording label "Dorian", that needed a solution for directional mics (like the MK41) used in outdoor classical music recordings. The answer was to make hollow wind screens because the free air space between the mic and the outer material tends to equalize pressure differential at the top and sides of a cardioid microphone. The dual density foam used in the large SM-81 windscreen works in pretty much the same way. The larger W5D hollow ball windscreen is the most affective, presumably because it has the largest interior free air space.

The only issue with the the Shure version is that the hole is slightly too large to fit snuggly onto a Schoeps body (22mm vs 21mm), and But like has been mention, the 81 windscreen will be OK if you add a shim such as a rubber band or layer of moleskin  gaffer's tape.

The hollow air space is needed only for directional microphones, which is why the B5 is recommended for omni microphones. Shure also has a small solid foam tear drop made for the SM-81, but it has the same issue with the hole being too large for the Schoeps mics and needs to be shimmed (I have had them fall off of Schoeps before; once during a brain surgery documentary that missed the opening by inches.

I should also mention that the B5D works very well with the Sennheiser MKH8000 series (very wind sensitive), but since the little Sennheisers are even smaller (19mm), a  layer of shim is needed so the B5D sits snuggly. The hole on the Shure windscreen is much too large to be useful on the Sennheiser MKH-8000 mics.

But the short answer is that the hollow B5D gives significant improvement over the solid B5 when used with directional mics, and while you can usually get by with the B5 indoors, the B5D (or more) is a must outdoors.

Glen Trew

Thanks for that extra info Glen,

I've ordered myself a B5D now. Like I said I want to have something that works inside without coloring the sound or changing the mics pattern.

I guess I might try the shure foam windscreen for a quick move outdoors before going to a full Rycote Zepp.

I like the Rycote softies alot for shotguns but I'm realizing that all that rubber right behind the capsule is effecting the pattern when one uses the 5cm softies on short mics like Schoeps or MKH40/MKH50

Jon Chiles, NYC

...I like the Rycote softies alot for shotguns but I'm realizing that all that rubber right behind the capsule is effecting the pattern when one uses the 5cm softies on short mics like Schoeps or MKH40/MKH50

After trying a Schoeps ball windscreen and being unhappy with the affect it had on both the low and high frequencies, I went my own way.

I have two different windscreens that I use with a Schoeps.  One I made using two foam windscreens, each of a different size and density, with one nestled inside the other.  My second windscreen addresses your concern above.  I started with a Rycote Softie, took the rubber base off and then got busy with scissors and a needle & thread to tailor the opening -- without the rubber piece -- to fit the Schoeps' diameter.  Now, it looks like just a fur ball on the end of the mic, stays on nicely and has less affect on the frequency response than the original.

I'm really happy with both.

To help hold a windscreen on a Schoeps, my favorite solution is an "O" ring or two.  Visit the plumbing section of your local hardware store and you'll find a full selection of sizes.

John B.