Oktava MK-012 any thoughts or comments on it

ProSound

1, not true. the Oktava filter is cheaper:

http://www.oktava-shop.com/product_info.php/currency/USD/language/en/info/p24_low-cut-filter.html

2, the shure thingy is much longer, hence impractical.

There is also a new preamp with a lo cut switch. Looks neat.

$95 at Oktava USA

http://www.oktavausa.com/ProductsPages/MK-012Capsules.html

I have found the Oktava is actually on the short side for the shock mounts I have. YMMV

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd add that I have found the low-cut filter for the MK012 far too noisy to use. When I queried the noise (I bought one in April with the 'movie set' from Oktava online - Europe's main dealer) Natalia Kuzmenko agreed about the self-noise, and said they'd changed components to no effect. Bill Sitler also agreed about the noise and the lack of mod, and, as a consequence, doesn't list them on his website. I just do the obvious and use the low-cut (which is before the preamp stage) on my SD preamps/mixers. Cheers, Roland

Just thought I'd add that I have found the low-cut filter for the MK012 far too noisy to use. When I queried the noise (I bought one in April with the 'movie set' from Oktava online - Europe's main dealer) Natalia Kuzmenko agreed about the self-noise, and said they'd changed components to no effect. Bill Sitler also agreed about the noise and the lack of mod, and, as a consequence, doesn't list them on his website. I just do the obvious and use the low-cut (which is before the preamp stage) on my SD preamps/mixers. Cheers, Roland

I never noticed that, so I just checked with my Oktava and yes, with the low cut filter on it really is noisier than without. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's far too noisy to use. In most situations it won't even be noticable. But in a quiet room, with soft voices, you will hear the difference.

Which makes me all the more interested in the new Oktava preamp.

http://www.oktava-shop.com/product_info.php/language/en/info/p39_up-012-universal-preamp.html///XTCsid/e3cc83c07f60a7c5aee1c0df913b1553

I wrote to Kuzmenko about the issue of self noise. If anybody gets their hands on one please report!

• 3 months later...

I'm looking to buy a matched pair of 012s to be used almost exclusively for 2-camera sitdown interviews.  I won't be swinging these mics at all.  They'll be locked down on stands.  

My question:

Shall I purchase the cardioid capsules? Many of you in this thread prefer them.  Will I lose presence? My other dialogue mics are all hyper.  

Thanks gang.  

baretta: " Shall I purchase the cardioid capsules? Many of you in this thread prefer them.  Will I lose presence? My other dialogue mics are all hyper. "

come on, dude...

that is a bit subjective... quite a bit... you will have to decide which you prefer, and at Oktava prices, you can afford both, so you can have the options...

as to matched pairs,  you ought to discuss with The Soundroom, (where all Oktava's are hand selected) and for sit-down interviews, it probably doesn't make a detectable difference

baretta: " Shall I purchase the cardioid capsules? Many of you in this thread prefer them. Will I lose presence? My other dialogue mics are all hyper. "

come on, dude...

that is a bit subjective... quite a bit... you will have to decide which you prefer, and at Oktava prices, you can afford both, so you can have the options...

as to matched pairs, you ought to discuss with The Soundroom, (where all Oktava's are hand selected) and for sit-down interviews, it probably doesn't make a detectable difference

I agree with Senator's accurate and marginally improving tone of post.

If you already have hypers, then cardioid makes sense. Or both. For sit-downs, a wider pattern protects for lean-forwards on fixed stands, etc.

I'd also state that matched pairs are unnecessary, and would agree that you should buy them from the above-mentioned vendor.

I'm looking to buy a matched pair of 012s to be used almost exclusively for 2-camera sitdown interviews. I won't be swinging these mics at all. They'll be locked down on stands.

My question:

Shall I purchase the cardioid capsules? Many of you in this thread prefer them. Will I lose presence? My other dialogue mics are all hyper.

Thanks gang.

Cardioid and hyper-cardioid are somewhat relative terms. One maker's hyper may not be the same as an Oktava hyper. Do a little googling and you will see what other mics people compare the different Oktava capsule pattern to. Hopefully you can find a review comparing their pattern to something you are very familiar with.

Get both. Better yet, the matched stereo set with the omni, cardioid and hyper capsules is certainly affordable.

I concur, The Sound Room is a great source, however one pays more for the hand-picked service.

Not to be confused with the "Dorcey" type modification, an option from Bill Sitler or Micheal Joly, which reduces the Oktava self noise and infrasonic LF among other performance improvement.

I'm looking to buy a matched pair of 012s to be used almost exclusively for 2-camera sitdown interviews.  I won't be swinging these mics at all.  They'll be locked down on stands.  

My question:

Shall I purchase the cardioid capsules? Many of you in this thread prefer them.  Will I lose presence? My other dialogue mics are all hyper.  

Thanks gang.

Well... sure. "It depends". However I'll take a shot at answering this.

I've used the 012's for years. At times I love them and at times I hate them. The later being when I need to "swing" them around on a boom. For a static interview, I'm pretty happy with them and I don't think it will matter much if you get the cardioid or the hyper. None the less, I have found a few occasions where I will intentionally back the mic off further than need be to introduce a little more natural sound. You certainly can do the same if you feel the hypers reduce the ambience too much. My bigger concern would be if you have the mic locked down on a c-stand and the talent leans forward or side to side. In that case I'd opt for the cardioid. Either way, I don't think loosing "presence" will be an issue. If it is, just back the mic off a little.

Tom

Although as a neutral starting point, having matched mics makes sense... I can see how different mics..similar polar pattern..can be inconsequential to the end product. Every voice being different, facing different directions..viewer has no idea what amount of difference is due to recording. With some voices...might be beneficial to use a different more complementary mic.